stopped recieving email notifications when issue status changes

Itay Keller November 27, 2012

We have created new status: need info.

we have updated the notification scheme to send email when an issue is moved from "need info" to reopen statuse.

The functionality worked ok but a few month ago it stopped.

We havn't changed/update the JIRA, nor the notification scheme

Any idea what could go wrong?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2012

Check the event on the transition, and what the ntoification scheme does for that event very carefully. Make sure the notification scheme is set correctly on the project. Is it possible another admin has changed it (or even yourself by accident - I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to forgetting what I've been updating)

Then you'll need to do some debugging:

Do other notifications from that project arrive ok?

Does the mail go to many users? If it's only one user and they are the one doing the transtition, then do they have the "don't email me on my own actions" flag set on their profile?

Itay Keller December 2, 2012

Hi Nic,

I have rechecked my notification scheme and the transition scheme and they both seems to be ok.

I and other people do recieve other emails from jira (for all the projects), so there is no error/exchange rule that can cause the problem.

In this specific transition (reopen issue from "need info" state) it seems like the email is:

• sent - if the person who does the action also update the issue (add attachement, update text...) in the same transition
  • not sent - if the person who does the action only add comment to the issue.

Thanks for any help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2012

Hmm. That does not sound right at all. The event on the end of the transition should always trigger an email, it should be irrelevant whether the user is filling in data or not.

Do you have any listeners or email related plugins that might be doing something different to aff-the-shelf Jira?

Itay Keller December 2, 2012

We don't have any email/listeners plugins.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2012

Ok, then you'll need to do some deep debugging.

• Get an issue ready to be moved through the transition. Then go to
  • Administration -> System -> Logging & Profiling -> Click Edit next to the com.atlassian package and set the level to "debug"
  • Commit the transition, with only a comment, so that you get the "no email sent" situation
  • Do it again, but with a field change
  • Go back into the logging admin and set the debug level back to what it was before
  • Read the log file - there will be a lot of it, but I'm usre it will show both of the relevant emails being generated and sent, in the same way

I have to say this really does sound like there's a rule on the email server or client dropping the email.

Itay Keller December 4, 2012

Hi Nic,

This is sooo strange.

I have done what you suggested and got in both cases the email notification....

But:

I notice that the subject of the email is

[JIRA] Updated: (XYZ-1088) <here is the title of the issue>

And I'm sure that when things worked all the time, the subject of the email was

[JIRA] Reopened: (XYZ-1088) <here is the title of the issue>

Here is the snapshot of the relevant workflow scheme:

And here is a spanshot of the relevant notification scheme:

(I'm the project lead)

I'm sure I'm missing here someting, but I don't know what it is...

Thanks in advance,

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 4, 2012

Ok, go into the workflow and look at the "Reopen" transition - specifically, the one in your screenshot, with the id of 731.

Look at it's post functions and look for the "fire event" one - what event is it firing?

Itay Keller December 4, 2012

Fire a Generic Event event that can be processed by the listeners.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 4, 2012

That would explain it - the type of event determines the subject line (generic event comes out as "issue updated") and who it goes to in the notification scheme.

Try changing the event from "generic" to "Issue reopened", then it should behave as you expect.

Itay Keller December 9, 2012

Amazing - Works like magic!

Seems like it solve the problem.

Big big thanks, you helped me so much.

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2012

hi jan

just a hint...

there is a function in you profile settings which can be checked so you won't recieve updates on changes you made by yourself.

this will avoid mails from beeing sent to you even if the event is right and the notification scheme includes you

Suggest an answer