stop watching and manage watchers doesn't work any more on imported issues

Gerd Caers November 25, 2013

Hi all,

We recently merged two JIRA instances into one through Project import.
We now notice that watchers that were set in the imported projects before the merge can't stop watching any more. Users can click on the 'Watching' hyperlink, the hyperlink changes into 'Watch' as if they aren't watching any more. But after a refresh of the page, it changes back in 'Watching'.

Even removing (old) watchers though 'Manage Watchers' interface doesn't work.
When clicked on 'remove' button, the user remains saved/shown as 'watcher'.

Did anybody have the same problem before.

Any suggestions to solve this issue?

Thanks,
Gerd

4 answers

2 votes
Brandon Selberg August 1, 2016

If the user's click stop watching the issue. then click it a second time to start watching it will re add a new entry for the user in the dbo.userassociation. At this time the user can click one additional time. This then removed this record and now stops the user from watching the issue. 

Whats happened is the user accounts are duplicated in the underlying database level. Basically you have two directory id's for a given user name. all of the watches from the imported project are still mapped to the old user account which shares the same name. So when the user is logged in from the merged instance they will either be able to control all of the watching for the A instance but not the B instance.

Another workaround is to wipe all watcher from all issues as any newly created issue won't have the issue with watchers forever being stuck watching an issue.  

1 vote
Florian Fahrenberger May 3, 2016

Yes, same problem here. This seems to occur regularly. Has anybody found a solution?

Maybe an addition: If I add another watcher, I can often times remove the original one. But then that new added watcher is stuck and cannot be removed. So it can't just be the imported watcher that is causing the problem...

1 vote
Samuel April 19, 2016

Did you find any solution for this issue? I have the same issue.

0 votes
David Pavlik July 26, 2016

Exactly same issue here - imported data from one JIRA instance to another, now we are stucked with watchers. Please help!

Suggest an answer