stop watching and manage watchers doesn't work any more on imported issues

Hi all,

We recently merged two JIRA instances into one through Project import.
We now notice that watchers that were set in the imported projects before the merge can't stop watching any more. Users can click on the 'Watching' hyperlink, the hyperlink changes into 'Watch' as if they aren't watching any more. But after a refresh of the page, it changes back in 'Watching'.

Even removing (old) watchers though 'Manage Watchers' interface doesn't work.
When clicked on 'remove' button, the user remains saved/shown as 'watcher'.

Did anybody have the same problem before.

Any suggestions to solve this issue?

Thanks,
Gerd

4 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

If the user's click stop watching the issue. then click it a second time to start watching it will re add a new entry for the user in the dbo.userassociation. At this time the user can click one additional time. This then removed this record and now stops the user from watching the issue. 

Whats happened is the user accounts are duplicated in the underlying database level. Basically you have two directory id's for a given user name. all of the watches from the imported project are still mapped to the old user account which shares the same name. So when the user is logged in from the merged instance they will either be able to control all of the watching for the A instance but not the B instance.

Another workaround is to wipe all watcher from all issues as any newly created issue won't have the issue with watchers forever being stuck watching an issue.  

Did you find any solution for this issue? I have the same issue.

Yes, same problem here. This seems to occur regularly. Has anybody found a solution?

Maybe an addition: If I add another watcher, I can often times remove the original one. But then that new added watcher is stuck and cannot be removed. So it can't just be the imported watcher that is causing the problem...

Exactly same issue here - imported data from one JIRA instance to another, now we are stucked with watchers. Please help!

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

189 views 3 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you