starting Jira

Darryl Pitts September 25, 2012

right now I can only start Jira logged in as root and using sh /opt/atlassian/jira/bin/catalina.sh run

I'm sure its permissions, because if I try the same as the user when jira was installed 'jira1' it does not start. so I'd like some reference as to what I can do to resolve this so jira1 can start jira.

also I would have to leave this ssh session running to keep jira running, which I don't really want to.

I would like to have a script to run at system start that would start Jira for me.

I found this:

http://wiki.customware.net/repository/display/ATLASSIAN/How+to+set+up+Confluence+or+JIRA+to+start+at+system+boot

which is a file called jira1 in /etc/init.d, but that didn't seem to work either and I'm not sure where logs would be telling me at what step the start has failed.

this is the file jira1:

#!/bin/sh -e

# JIRA startup script

#chkconfig: 2345 80 05

#description: JIRA

# Define some variables

# Name of app ( JIRA, Confluence, etc )

APP=jira

# Name of the user to run as

USER=jira1

# Location of application's bin directory

BASE=/opt/atlassian/jira

# Location of Java JDK

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun

case $1 in

# Start command

start)

echo Starting $APP

/bin/su -m $USER -c cd $BASE/logs && $BASE/bin/startup.sh &> /dev/null

;;

# Stop command

stop)

echo Stopping $APP

/bin/su -m $USER -c $BASE/bin/shutdown.sh &> /dev/null

echo $APP stopped successfully

;;

# Restart command

restart)

$0 stop

sleep 5

$0 start

;;

*)

echo Usage: /etc/init.d/$APP {start|restart|stop}

exit 1

;;

esac

exit 0

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2012

There should be a 'jira1' user on your system which was created by the Jira setup. This user has to have some rights in the Jira Home and Installation Directory.

Just take a look there - maybe the files are belonging to the 'jira' user without the '1'.

Suggest an answer