start-up error for Jira

Brian Bagent January 26, 2014

SEVERE: Unable to create directory for deployment: /opt/atlassian/jira/conf/Catalina/localhost

Thought it might have to do with no DB being established yet, but I see the comments in the server.xml file that DB is set up the first time you log in to jira.

Installed jira 6.1 on CentOS server. The installer didn't indicate any errors. No errors indicated when I run "service jira start" but I just cannot connect to the instance via browser. I've tried both the express setup and the custom setup.

Looks like a permissions issue, but I installed as root, changed owner to jira, set the appropriate execute permissions...

12 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
RicardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2014

Hi Brian

It looks you haven't give permissions to the jira user that is starting JIRA to the JIRA folders. This documentation might help: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/JIRA+Generates+a+FileNotFoundException+due+to+Permission+denied

Hope it helps,

Ricardo Carracedo.

5 votes
S Stack December 25, 2014

There's a known bug in the 6.1 Linux installer causing the "SEVERE: Unable to create directory for deployment: /opt/atlassian/jira/conf/Catalina/localhost" message in catalina.out.

If you've run the installer as "root", /opt/atlassian/jira/conf is owned by root:root with 755 permissions.

Solution:

1. Run this command as root: chown -R jira:root /opt/atlassian/jira/conf/
  2. Restart JIRA

This allows the "jira" user to populate the Catalina tree. No more SEVERE errors are logged.

Atlassian acknowledged this is a problem with 6.1 installer which should be fixed in 6.2 (which I have not yet tested).

Ahmad Awadallah June 2, 2015

We are using Jira 6.2.7 and ran into the same exact issue. Thanks for the solution.

Ahmad Awadallah March 4, 2016

I just installed a fresh new JIRA 7.1.1 on Linux and ran (again) into the same exact problem.

Mark Chandler July 10, 2016

Also happens with 7.1.9 on Linux

radhika.punchepady March 17, 2020

I have tried giving permission but the installation still fails with error: 

17-Mar-2020 16:58:31.462 SEVERE [Catalina-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.beforeStart Unable to create directory for deployment: [/opt/atlassian/jira/conf/Catalina/localhost]

If I try to create it manually it works fine.

0 votes
Mathiyalagan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2015

Hi,

JIRA logs started but nginx logs not started?  Also unable access the JIRA in browser getting blank screen...

Does anyone have idea to resolve this issue?

0 votes
Mike Diehn June 9, 2015

Same problem still with JIRA 6.3.9

0 votes
Ahmad Awadallah June 2, 2015

I'm on JIRA 6.2.7 and ran into the same exact issue.  Need to do what 'S Stack' specified and that fixed it.

0 votes
ian September 8, 2014

Hi Brian, Michael...

Any more info on this issue I am having the same trouble

Michael Brinson September 27, 2014

Sorry Ian, I'm still stuck with this problem too. Any time I need to reboot, I have to manually clear out the /opt/atlassian/jira/work/ directory, and then manually re-create the Catalina/localhost folder. PITB

0 votes
Michael Brinson June 12, 2014

Hey Brian - curious what you mean by "set my.conf to localhost"

I'm guessing you meant my.cnf? Even then, what config variable do you set to localhost within my.cnf? The bind-address? (bind-address = 127.0.0.1 is what I currently have there)

I'm having the same issue you describe.

0 votes
Brian Bagent April 15, 2014

that was it

0 votes
Brian Bagent February 11, 2014

It was an internal firewall issue. SMH

I had to change iptables, and set my.conf to localhost.

0 votes

It was an internal firewall issue. SMH

I had to change iptables, and set my.conf to localhost.

0 votes

The error message is coming from the catalina.out file.

0 votes

The error message is coming from the catalina.out file.

Suggest an answer