start and stop jira 6.2.3 on windows

Mohin Uddin April 22, 2014

Hi Expert,

Currently I have upgraded jira version 4.0.2 to 6.2.3.

could you please tell me how can I restart jira use the Start Menu options?

Thanks
Mohin

4 answers

1 vote

I can's see the following options in my start menu.

The Installer will have created the following Windows 'Start' menu shortcuts:

• Access JIRA — opens a web browser window to access your JIRA application.
    (info) Your JIRA server must have been started for this shortcut to work.
  • Start JIRA Server — starts up the Apache Tomcat application server which runs your JIRA installation, so that you can access JIRA through your web browser.
  • Stop JIRA Server — stops the Apache Tomcat application server which runs your JIRA installation. You will not be able to access JIRA through your web browser after choosing this shortcut.
  • Uninstall JIRAuninstalls JIRA from your Windows operating system.
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2014

How did you install it? The standard windows installer will add these. If you go via some other method, it won't

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2014

Depending on how you upgraded JIRA the menu shortcuts might not be created or if you installed JIRA as another user the shortcuts may be available only in the user's start menu.

You've got the option to start JIRA from command prompt also. Or if you installed JIRA as a service you can just start the service.

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2014

Nic do you know if it's safe to re-run the installer so it will eventually create these shortcuts ? Is there a chance to break the existing installation doing that ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2014

It should work, as long as you've not customised anything - the last time I ran the installer on windows, it simply overwrote the existing install (because I pointed it at the same directory). It's been a while though, I tend to work mostly on Unix boxes...

1 vote
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2014
0 votes

Boris did you mean the following files should I need to run for start/stop jira on cmd

2.2 Starting and Stopping JIRA from a Command Prompt

Enter the bin subdirectory of your JIRA installation directory and run the appropriate file:

• start-jira.bat (to start JIRA)
  • stop-jira.bat (to stop JIRA)

(info) If you followed our guidelines for running JIRA with a dedicated user account, then to run JIRA as this user account (e.g. 'jira'), use therunas command to execute start-jira.bat. For example:

• > runas /env /user:<DOMAIN>\jira start-jira.bat
    (where <DOMAIN> is your Windows domain or computer name.)
0 votes

Recently I have upgraded from 4.0.2 to 6.2.3.when I have used previous version(4.0.2) then I just just use the Start Menu options Start --> Programs --> Jira --> Start / Stop.

Can I add thses option to start menu under new version.For other method how can I restart the jira.

Suggest an answer