split a project into two (JIRA)

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2013

Hi

I would like to split a project into two on jira.

What is the best way of doing it?

Is bulk move the only option i have? Will I need to re-create the versions and components on the new project?

Rahul

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2013

It still looks like your best bet is to create a new project and then move the issues with bulk-edit. I'm not sure why you'd want to do it any other way - a bulk move will retain all your data and history, links back to the old project where the issues were and really is immensely easy compared with the other methods mentioned here.

You'd be well advised to add all the components and versions to the target first, that will be easiest.

Or, you could explain the errors you get on import if you think this is the best way for you? We could help with those instead?

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2013

2013-06-11 03:52:23,839 ProjectImport: CreateChangeItems-6 ERROR aich 222x10427x1 fb2o6i 127.0.0.1 /secure/admin/ProjectImportSummary.jspa [jira.imports.project.DefaultProjectImportPersister] DataAccessException occured while trying to create Entity type 'ChangeItem' . {newvalue=mswxxxx, oldstring=Dai Moyyyyy, field=assignee, id=null, fieldtype=jira, newstring=Martin Sqqqqqqq, oldvalue=dmoriuchi, group=8093}

com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException: Exception while inserting the following entity: [GenericEntity:ChangeItem][field,assignee][oldstring,Dai Moriuchi][newvalue,msweeney][id,10243][fieldtype,jira][oldvalue,dmyyyyyyy][newstring,Martin Sqqqqq][group,8093] (Unable to esablish a connection with the database. (Could not create connection to database server. Attempted reconnect 3 times. Giving up.))

at com.atlassian.jira.ofbiz.DefaultOfBizDelegator.createValue(DefaultOfBizDelegator.java:366)

at com.atlassian.jira.imports.project.DefaultProjectImportPersister.createEntity(DefaultProjectImportPersister.java:177)

at com.atlassian.jira.imports.project.handler.ChangeItemPersisterHandler$1.run(ChangeItemPersisterHandler.java:54)

at com.atlassian.jira.util.concurrent.BoundedExecutor$1.run(BoundedExecutor.java:42)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Caused by: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException: Exception while inserting the following entity: [GenericEntity:ChangeItem][field,assignee][oldstring,Dai Mwww][newvalue,mswwwwwy][id,10243][fieldtype,jira][oldvalue,dmoreeeei][newstring,Martin Swwwwww][group,8093] (Unable to esablish a connection with the database. (Could not create connection to database server. Attempted reconnect 3 times. Giving up.))

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2013

Thanks Nic for your comment. I will try bulk edit. However, I also need some inputs from you on my root problem (i.e. unable to import this project using project import). It is not all projects which fail. I have imported 50 of them and only 2 failed. Interestingly, both failed projects had issues over 2K. And both failed while importing changeitem entries. Error comes everytime and is not intermittent.

I am unable to pin-point on the issue nor has been my DBA who is investigating on it. I am on MySQL Linux version(created using the scripts prescribed by atlassian).

An interesting thing to note is that my old MySQL database (on solaris) is able to import this project. No problems. This makes me believe it is an issue with the database configs and not with jira application.

I am also on standalone installation so no issues with MySQL connectors etc since MySQL connectors comes shipped in-built.(error pasted below as a separate comment due to character restrictions)

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2013

2013-06-11 03:42:27,741 JiraTaskExectionThread-3 INFO aich 222x10427x1 fb2o6i 127.0.0.1 /secure/admin/ProjectImportSummary.jspa [jira.imports.project.DefaultProjectImportService] Starting project import for project 'HT2'.

2013-06-11 03:42:27,741 JiraTaskExectionThread-3 INFO aich 222x10427x1 fb2o6i 127.0.0.1 /secure/admin/ProjectImportSummary.jspa [jira.imports.project.DefaultProjectImportService] Creating missing users. Attempting to create 0 users.

2013-06-11 03:42:27,882 JiraTaskExectionThread-3 INFO aich 222x10427x1 fb2o6i 127.0.0.1 /secure/admin/ProjectImportSummary.jspa [jira.imports.project.DefaultProjectImportService] Finished creating missing users. 0 users created.

2013-06-11 03:42:33,288 JiraTaskExectionThread-3 INFO aich 222x10427x1 fb2o6i 127.0.0.1 /secure/admin/ProjectImportSummary.jspa [jira.imports.project.DefaultProjectImportManager] Creating the issues.

2013-06-11 03:51:18,668 JiraTaskExectionThread-3 INFO aich 222x10427x1 fb2o6i 127.0.0.1 /secure/admin/ProjectImportSummary.jspa [jira.imports.project.DefaultProjectImportManager] Finished creating the issues.

2013-06-11 03:51:23,559 JiraTaskExectionThread-3 INFO aich 222x10427x1 fb2o6i 127.0.0.1 /secure/admin/ProjectImportSummary.jspa [jira.imports.project.DefaultProjectImportManager] Creating the issue-related data.

2013-06-11 03:52:17,652 JiraTaskExectionThread-3 INFO aich 222x10427x1 fb2o6i 127.0.0.1 /secure/admin/ProjectImportSummary.jspa [jira.imports.project.DefaultProjectImportManager] Finished creating the issue-related data.

2013-06-11 03:52:17,699 JiraTaskExectionThread-3 INFO aich 222x10427x1 fb2o6i 127.0.0.1 /secure/admin/ProjectImportSummary.jspa [jira.imports.project.DefaultProjectImportManager] Creating the change item data.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2013

Yes, there's something not quite right in your database server setup.

I've seen "(Unable to esablish a connection with the database. (Could not create connection to database server. Attempted reconnect 3 times. Giving up.))" a few times before, and it could have several causes. Unfortunately, it's always been a DBA who's been able to find it and tell us what the problem is, so I think working with your DBA is definitely a good move - see if they can see errors in the database log at around that time.

The three that I have some memory of are

Timeouts on the Jira side - our DBA spotted that it opened a connection, threw data down it, and then dropped the connection after a time, even though data was still flowing. There was a setting in Tomcat that told it to close a long-running connection no matter what

Increase the number of connections in the pool (ask your DBA, but you don't actually have any errors mentioning it, so I don't think it's really a problem here)

Maximum connections - on the Jira side, look in server.xml for "maxActive". On the database side my.conf, check max_connections - again, ask your DBA, but it may be worth increasing one or both of these.

1 vote
J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2013

Here's what I would do...do it in test first. :)

Take a backup of jira.

Run it through the "Project Import" and import the project as a different project ID

Hack out what you don't want from each project

Test

Make sense? Again...test first, then do. If you don't and you screw up, you'll lose data. :)

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2013

Hi Caldwell

Thanks for your comments. Its a brilliant idea however it wont work for me. Since the only reason i am trying to split the project is because i am unable to project import the entire project (keeps throwing errors which none have been able to resolve). So, the alternate solution i was thinking was to split it and then project import twice to my destination jira.

Rahul

0 votes
Scott Rattray December 2, 2019

Surely there this is an answer to this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2019

The accepted answer still stands as correct!

Scott Rattray December 3, 2019

really strange, I could see any answers to the question till this morning.....

0 votes
J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2013

What's the error? Is your test environment a mirror of your prod environment?

0 votes
Jo-Anne MacLeod
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2013

I bet that the commandline plugin will allow you to do this. don't know for sure but it might be worth investigating.

0 votes
Jo-Anne MacLeod June 10, 2013

I bet that the command line plugin gives you the ability to configure this quickly. I don't know for sure, but it may be worth invesigating.

Suggest an answer