some emails are not processed

Stefan Immel October 10, 2016

How can I debug how incoming emails are processed? 
Usually mails send to the monitored email address appear right away in JIRA but there are some emails that apparently not processed.

I have configured the email handler to assign a default  creator to a issue if the sender cannot be found, accept bulk mail (it's an internal server) and have no limit configured but still some mail sit in the inbox without showing up in JIRA.

3 answers

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2016

Stefan, unsure if the issue captured below is the cause of your troubles but I would advise that you have a look, as it was for me. If after reviewing you feel this is your issue then please post an update/accept answer.

With that said, your post is a bit confusing as you mention creating a default creator in the mail handler but the question is raised agains JSD not JIRA SW and JSD doesn't have the same email handler methodology and no default creator. I am assuming here that, in fact you are using both JIRA SW and JSD? Regardless, there are a good number of Atlassian product issues reported that are similar to what you raise here so you may want to do a search there if the one provided doesn't hit the mark.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-30521

Stefan Immel October 11, 2016

Actually that was only half of the problem.
Yes, I had 2 mail handlers active, one for JSD and one for JIRA Core. This also explained why I sometimes got two issues out of one mail.
I changed that now but there are still mails that are NOT processed. 

Now I found the error: " Error while serializing message"
with the Java error:

com.sun.mail.util.FolderClosedIOException

at com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPInputStream.forceCheckExpunged(IMAPInputStream.java:107) [jira-email-processor-plugin-2.2.5_1472010792000.jar:1.5.6]

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 12, 2016

When you say they are not processed does that mean if you actually log into the email w/ an email client you see those that are "not processed" as being unread? Or are emails from certain individuals not being processed? In my case those not being processed were from users that had JIRA core accounts but not JIRA SW and not a JSD customer. In other words....

JSD customer accounts - can successfully create a ticket against a project in JIRA SW via email

JIRA core accounts  w/ access to Confluence but NOT JIRA SW - could not create a ticket against a project in JIRA SW via email

hope that is clear

Stefan Immel October 12, 2016

I see them as beeing unread and I do get an error.
It seems to have to da something with encoding / attachments / content-type I just have not figured out what exactly.

A mail from user a will be process except if it contains an attachment in which case I will get the above mentiones error in the log file.

A mail from user b will be process without error and an attachment will be placed inside JIRA.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 12, 2016

that is interesting. i'm intrigued as to the cause. You may wish to open a ticket w/ Atlassian. Regardless if you find the answer please post here.

Stefan Immel October 12, 2016

I allready have an ticket open. I will get back here if I have any kind of solution

Zafer Cakmak March 13, 2018

hi @Stefan Immel

did you find a solution to this?

Mit May 1, 2018

@Stefan Immel also wondering the same thing

0 votes

The whole email processing seems to be faulty.

We use the ldap integration to pull the users from our ADS. Only 2 of those useres are JIRA admins, but the rest should be able to create tickets via email.

It strangly works most of the time, but the emails are not deleted in the mailbox. 

If I send an email from an email account that is not configured in the ADS (and so not known to JIRA) the mail is processed and deleted as normal.

0 votes

I have configured anonymous access to my project according to this article:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver070/allowing-anonymous-access-to-your-project-749382794.html 

Suggest an answer