[solved] Using Jira for IT support ticketing / Notifications

Aaron Meder October 10, 2012

Hi there

I've downloaded the Jira trial and looked into it for some hours - it seems to be a really nice and very solid application. Definitly the most user friendly install and usage experience I have ever had with a self hosted java based application for linux ever. So big thumbs up to the atlassian team!

What I try to do is see if Jira fits for our IT team as a support ticketing application.

Our support ticket flow is totally email based, and I managed to configure the most needed settings in Jira but I am having trouble using one thing:

When a user sends an email (support request) to our it-support-email it gets fetched by Jira using IMAP and an issue is created. Jira creates the user based on the senders email and sets this user as reporter of the ticket.
So far so good. I have created a custom notification schema that says that the support team and the reporter should be notified when a new issue is created.
The members of the support team get that notification, but the reporter (the user who sent the support request via email) does not get it.
The reporter gets an account creation notification email if I have that setting activated in the mail handler, but not a confirmation that his issue has been created.
This way the reporter is left uncertain if we have received his request.

Is it possible to configure Jira the way that the reporter will get a notification too?

Thanks for help & greetings from Switzerland
Aaron

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Aaron Meder October 10, 2012

Just found out what the problem is:

Under Administration > Users > User Preferences the default setting "Notify users of their own changes?" was set to "False".

Enabled it and boom - it works!

Suggest an answer