single database to multiple jira instances

indra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2017

I tried to Connect two jira instances to single database i got an error like  "You have specified a database that is not empty, please specify an empty database".

is it possible to connect single database to multiple jira instances ? 

Thanks,

Indra.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2017

Hello,

It is not possible to connect two insances of JIRA server to a single database. You have to use Jira Data Center for this purpose

indra
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2017

i am using Jira DataCenter licence but got same issue.please suggest me how to connect.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2017
1 vote
Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2017

When you are doing a fresh installation you cannot install JIRA on a non-empty database. 
For that purposes you need to give an empty database. 

However, Im not sure if it'll work but you can do the following to try this out:
You install JIRA 1 with empty DB1.
You install JIRA 2 with empty DB2.

Then you point the dbconfig.xml for JIRA 2 server to the DB1. 
You can try doing that. 
I haven't tested it out but I'll be interested to know the result. 

indra
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2017

Hi tayyab,

Thanks for your help its working .

Peter Andréasson November 29, 2017

Hi indra,
Did it work for you with single db with two Jira applications?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2017

No, I can be absolutely certain that it did not.

You can not use one database with more than one Jira Server application. 

You can get Data Centre if you want many Jira nodes serving the same data, but a single database for many Jira installs Does.  Not.   Work.

am7454 September 12, 2018

This is a good solution and it seems to work. The issue is with the file based resources like attachments, logos ...etc. Keeping them in sync between the two servers will be challenging. will require some kind of NAS based solution.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2018

No, it does not work.

You can not use one database with more than one Jira Server application.  You will find the second one shuts itself down when it spots the first is already running.  Even if you manage to prevent that, you will immediately start corrupting the database, ruining your data completely.

The docs for installing Data Centre covers the shared storage it needs.

Suggest an answer