show transition view screen if certain field value is empty.

Nripendra Pradhananga August 12, 2014

Hi

During transition, check whether certain field is empty or not, if empty, show screen to fill that field. if not empty, then allow transition. How can I do that?

Thanx

3 answers

4 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2014

Bhushan's solution will ALWAYS show the screen, whether the field is filled or not. It will not let the transition proceed if it is left empty.

If you really do want the screen to show only when the field is empty, then you need to create two transitions. One with the screen and a "condition" that says "only show if the field is empty" and another with no screen and a condition that says "only show if field is filled"

Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2014

Hi Nripendra,

Use the Required field workflow validator that comes bundled with this free add-on.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.googlecode.jira-suite-utilities

For more information on JIRA workflow functions, take a look at

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Advanced+workflow+configuration

Cheers

Bhushan

Like Christian_Ledermann likes this
Nripendra Pradhananga August 12, 2014

Hi Nic,

Where can I find conditions that you have mentioned i.e. "only show if the field is empty" / "only show if field is filled". I did not see such when I press "add condition". Do we need any add ons for that?

Regards

Svante Gustafsson Björkegren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2014

+1 Nice solution, Nic!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2014

Sorry, I'm used to having a handful of standard plugins in Jira, and keep forgetting that their functions are not off-the-shelf.

I suspect I've used the Jira suite utilities to do this. Failing that, I've used the script runner to create a simple script.

dorian_intuit May 3, 2015

To add more information to this. On the Workflows -> Select the workflow you want -> Select the Transition you want to show the pop-up on -> Conditions -> Select Value Field -> Set the Field to whatever you want. Set the Value =. Set the operator to String. Make sure this transition has a pop-up screen. Then create a new transition you want the pop-up to not show up on. Do the same thing except set the Value !=. Bonus: In order to change the sequencing of the transition buttons on the user screen edit the properties of that transition to have a opsbar-sequence.

Like Mike Hermus likes this
Ayat Mahir May 23, 2017

Hey Dorian, 

i have same issue, i have marked the fieled as "required", created a condition in the workflow needed:

-Set the Field "done"  OK

-Set the Condition to "=" OK

-Value (don't know whjat to make)???? NOK

-Comparision type "String" OK

You asked "Make sure this transition has a pop-up screen"? how to do that?

i need to show up a specific message when the value is not provided in the fieled, not the standard message"this fieled is required", how to do that?

0 votes
Yonatan Rand November 18, 2020

When trying this method I have to make the two transition names different and this is confusing to the users in terms of moving to next state. How do I deal with that?

0 votes
Ana Teixeira August 13, 2018

@Nic Brough (Adaptavist) Thanks for the Suggestion. It works perfectly!

Suggest an answer