sharing projects between JIRA ondemand instances

John Downie January 6, 2013

We utilise an instance of JIRA OD for our internal development teams.

We have just started working with an outsourced development team on a fairly extensive project - they also utilise JIRA OD for their own projects.

Is it possible to create a project in one instance and then share this project with another JIRA instance - I don't want to force the outsourced co. to use our instance - as this will mean them doubling up on data entry, duplicating logins etc.. it's just messy.

I've spent some time looking into this and can't find the answer - the nearest i've come is utilising the API to extract project information from 1 instance and abstract this into a 2nd instance. Seems a bit long winded!

Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this?

Thanks for reading,

JD.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2013

Hi JD,

I'm sorry to say that it isn't currently possible to import a single project into an OnDemand instance without deleting the data that is already stored in the instance. Depending on the data that you want to transfer so I suspect that you would need to do something long winded like using the API to extract the data and update it. Howeverm we do have an open feature request to ask that project imports are allowed in a future release of OnDemand so I would suggest that you leave your thoughts for our developers there so they recognise the importance of such use cases: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/AOD-2658

All the best,
John

John Downie January 6, 2013

Thanks for the answer John - was afraid this was going to be the case! I'll do as you suggest and comment on that open feature request. Thanks.

Suggest an answer