setting a Jira field on bitbucket actions

David Elman August 26, 2014

Hi,

We are looking to have a Jira searchable field of the Code status that is set automaticly.

I am imagining the status of: no code, pending pull request, approved pull request, merged.

Idealy, I would like it so that when a commit is done in bitbucket with a Jira bug number it would set a custom field in that ticket of "pending pull request". And when that pull request is approved the Jira ticket gets set to Approved pull request, and when in bitbucket the pull request is merged to master...

yes we have the "Development" section on tickets that shows X commits, Y pull requests [stauts of pull request] - but that is not searchable.

Any advice? (using Jira on demand...)

thanks, David.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
TimP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2014

You may be interested in the new code-related JIRA workflow triggers then. They allow you to transition issues based on a variety of events, including when branches are created or pull requests are merged.

0 votes
John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2014

We think it makes more sense to use Workflow Statuses to represent the condition of the fix for the issue, and then use Smart Commits to transition the issue from a status No Code to Pending PR.

David Elman August 30, 2014

Fine, using statuses is fine... but I would like it to happen automaticly and NOT rely on the developer adding the smart Commit.

Addtionally, that only works for when they commit code, doesn't work for when code is marked as merged in bitbucket.

David Elman August 30, 2014

Thanks Tim.

Triggers worked out really well. (shame I can't give your answer a "this answered my question" check :( )

I created a trigger... on a transtion that changed the status... to iself (leaving it the same status) but had a post funciton of changing a custom field of "code status"

and this transtion doesn't show on any screen so that no one accedentally does it.

TimP
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 31, 2014

Ah sorry, I've converted it to an answer if you want to accept it to stop our hassle bot from emailing you further :)

Suggest an answer