set jira project status

1 April 19, 2017

Is it possible to set a project status (e.g. completed etc) in jira by default? If not, is there a plugin I can use for this?

3 answers

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2017

Jira does not know a project status. There's an open ticket for that: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-1450 

Maybe you want to vote for the issue.

There's a plugin "ictime time tracking" that offers some kind of project status, but it is not for free and I did not try that plugin, so I can't say, if it is worth the price. There may be other plugins, this is the first one, I found.

We "archive" closed projects by simply removing all the permissions on the project.

0 votes
Anton Chemlev - Toolstrek -
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2017

We've solved this task by project categories using dotted notation.

For example Development.Archived, Development.Running etc. And then we use "category" field in JQL to get issues.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2017

There's also an add-on that gives you "project fields" in the marketplace, you could use one of those for a status.

Most of us use a "closed" permission scheme (sometimes hiding the project, but usually just allowing read-only access so no-one can change anything), and often we use the project category to indicate groups of ended projects.

Suggest an answer