send an email notification when due date of an issue reached before 10 days

Marine Tm May 25, 2021

Hello how can i send email notification with jira software before 10 days when the due date of an issue reached ?

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2021

Hi @Marine Tm -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You could do this with a saved filter and subscription:

project = myProject AND duedate = startOfDay("+10d")

To learn more about filter subscriptions and advanced JQL, please look here:

Best regards,

Bill

Marine Tm May 26, 2021

Hello @Bill Sheboy thank you, but how can i send an email for someone when the due date is reached ?

the jql : project = myProject AND duedate = startOfDay("+10d") is just to search the issue, but i don't know how can i send an email. 

Marine Tm May 26, 2021

@Bill Sheboy  if i use filter then i have to subscribe on that filter for receiving email, there is another way to receive an email withouth filter and without installing plugins ? 

thank you for your help

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2021

Hi @Marine Tm 

Without addons/plug-ins, the only way I know of is filter subscription to send the email.

If you have the free, Lite version of Automation for Jira for server (an addon), you could create an automation rule which would allow sending the email also.

Best regards,

Bill

Marine Tm May 26, 2021

@Bill Sheboy  Hello,

Thank you for your answer, but i have another question please

For the subscription if i want to receive an email 10 days before the due date of an issue : can i create the filter for example today and say that if you find an issue that will expire next year send me an email 10 days before next year ? or this will not going to work since the jql will calculate the request compared to today's date ? then i have to modify my jql everyday ? 

Thank you

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 26, 2021

The query example I provided is relative to the day it is run.  So if you schedule this to run every day, it will run the query for that day and send the results.  There will be no need to modify the query each day to work.

Please take a look at the advanced searching link I provided as it shows additional explanations.  Thanks!

Like Marine Tm likes this
Marine Tm May 26, 2021

thank you so much

2 votes
Jaelyn Denise June 22, 2022

Hello!
If I am understanding you correctly, you are wanting to send an email notification 10 days before the "Due Date" of a Jira ticket.

I accomplished this by doing the following:

1. Go to Project Settings > Automation
  2. Create a new rule.
  3. Trigger: Scheduled
    1. When: "Every day at 12:30pm" (or whenever you want it to run)
    2. JQL: You need to pass in/search for the issues you want to check against the condition. I put "issuetype = Task", but you can put whatever suits your situation.
  4. Condition: Issue Fields Condition
    1. If "Due Date" > equals > Timeframe > "10 Days From Now"
  5. Action: Send Email (with whatever information you need)

This will check your issues (the ones that appear in the JQL query) every day to see if any of the Due Dates are ten days away from the day/time the trigger runs. 

I hope this helps!

greengirlgwen November 29, 2022

This was really helpful. Thank you!

I was able to create a rule that would check for all open issues to see if the due date equals a set number of days and, if so, it sends an email to the "Assignee" and a custom user field I created for "Backup preparer".

I'll share what I did in case the specificity helps others. 

Trigger: Scheduled

1. Run rule every: 1 Day
  2. JQL: project "yourprojectname" AND status IN ("To Do","In Progress")
    1. My actual project and statuses are unique, but I'll share for context:
      project = "RPTS" AND status IN ("Backlog","To Do <60D","To Do <90d","Open","In Progress","Waiting on 3rd Party")

Condition: JQL condition

1. duedate = 30d OR duedate = 60d OR duedate = 90d OR duedate = 10d OR duedate = 3d ORDER BY created DESC

Action: Then Send Email

Like Rose Espiritu likes this
0 votes
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2021

Hi @Marine Tm  

Yeah I think you will need a plugin, like Vikrant suggested. You might be able to do this with calculated fields and Generic Event in the Notification Scheme. Not entirely sure though...

HTH,
KGM

Marine Tm May 26, 2021

Hi, thank you

0 votes
Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2021

Hi @Marine Tm  You can do this with the help of script runner plug-in. In Script runner you need to setup escalation services which shoot automatic email or

you can use automation for to jira plug-in to send automatic email based on due date. 

thanks 

Suggest an answer