• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • /secure/QuickCreateIssue.jspa [jira.event.issue.IssueEventListenerHandler] Exception thrown from listener [com.atlassian.jira.event.listeners.mail.MailListener] : null

/secure/QuickCreateIssue.jspa [jira.event.issue.IssueEventListenerHandler] Exception thrown from listener [com.atlassian.jira.event.listeners.mail.MailListener] : null

JT
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2012

Just completed and upgrade to JIRA v5.2.2 and the following error is being thrown:

/secure/QuickCreateIssue.jspa [jira.event.issue.IssueEventListenerHandler] Exception thrown from listener [com.atlassian.jira.event.listeners.mail.MailListener] : null
java.lang.NullPointerException

also seeing this:

/secure/QuickCreateIssue.jspa [atlassian.event.internal.AsynchronousAbleEventDispatcher] There was an exception thrown trying to dispatch event 'com.atlassian.jira.event.issue.IssueEvent@5ec8379f[issue=MENVI-697,comment=<null>,worklog=<null>,changelog=<null>,eventTypeId=1,sendMail=true,params={eventsource=workflow, baseurl=http://jira.pearsoncmg.com},subtasksUpdated=false]' from the invoker 'SingleParameterMethodListenerInvoker{method=public void com.atlassian.jira.event.listeners.mention.MentionEventListener.onIssueEvent(com.atlassian.jira.event.issue.IssueEvent), listener=com.atlassian.jira.event.listeners.mention.MentionEventListener@14af3b51}'.
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NullPointerException

My mail listener seems to be configured and my notification schemes are in place.

Can anyone give me amy insight to this issue?

Thank you so much

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
onkeldom
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2012

I would guess it's because some of the fields which should be send are "null". Add a check to your email velocity templates and ignore the fields if they are "null".

JT
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2012

Thanks for the tip Dominic.

It is dissapointing when things like this "pop-up" after an upgrade. No issue with this in v5.1.2.

shess November 14, 2014

You made my day Dominic. cheers Sven from //SM

0 votes
vhj5cob April 5, 2018

I have the same scenario but not the null pointer exception below is my case

ERROR test 394x199x1 108rqv8 103.205.152.154,10.10.40.28 /secure/CreateIssueDetails.jspa [c.a.event.internal.AsynchronousAbleEventDispatcher] There was an exception thrown trying to dispatch event [com.atlassian.jira.event.issue.IssueEvent@6763360d[issue=AD-75,comment=<null>,worklog=<null>,changelog=<null>,eventTypeId=1,sendMail=true,params={eventsource=workflow, baseurl=https://jira.test-cloud.com},subtasksUpdated=false]] from the invoker [SingleParameterMethodListenerInvoker{method=public void com.adit.jira.sync.plugin.IssueCreatedResolvedListener.onIssueEvent(com.atlassian.jira.event.issue.IssueEvent) throws java.text.ParseException,com.test.jira.sync.plugin.exception.JiraSyncException,org.codehaus.jackson.JsonParseException,org.codehaus.jackson.map.JsonMappingException,java.io.IOException, listener=com.test.jira.sync.plugin.IssueCreatedResolvedListener@546d409c}]
java.lang.RuntimeException: Listener: com.test.jira.sync.plugin.IssueCreatedResolvedListener event: com.atlassian.jira.event.issue.IssueEvent

Suggest an answer