searching text with wildcards fails with many asterisks

Francesco R
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2016

Hello,
I'm trying to search all issues having summary "R: gestione**********URGENTE******************"

If I search (using advanced search) for summary ~ "R: gestione**********URGENTE******************" nothing is returned.
Using summary ~ "R\\: gestione**********URGENTE******************" nothing is returned.

Using summary ~ "R\\: gestione*" or summary ~ "R\\: gestione**********" I get all my 32 issues.

If I type summary ~ "R\\: gestione**********URGENTE*" I get nothing

Also using summary ~ "R\\: gestione**********U*" I get nothing.

Which is the correct way to search for these issues ?

I'm expecting e.g that using summary ~ "R\\: gestione**********URGENTE*" the last asterisk after the word URGENTE is used as wildcard.

I also put double backslash to escape EACH asterisk but no issues were found.

Where am I wrong ?

Thank you

1 answer

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar May 5, 2016

Try:

Summary ~ 'gestione' AND summary ~ 'URGENTE'

Francesco R
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2016

Thanks Ignacio, it works but I was also looking for a theoretical explanation.
I was expecting that double escaping all the asterisk it should work.
Or that writing a wildcard after the 'U' it worked. It seems the rules described in Atlassian documentation don't work. Or maybe I d0n't understand something.

Thanks anyway.

Suggest an answer