search project in JIRA v6.4.5

Jeanne Howe
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2015

Since upgrading to JIRA v6.4.5 searching for a project no longer works.

From the Project dropdown menu, select View All Projects

From the project list view, begin typing in the search box.

The search picks up the first letter you type, but nothing after the first letter. We have tried re-starting and re-indexing (a full locked re-index) and we are still unable to search projects.

10 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jeanne Howe
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2015

We were able to resolve this issue by ensuring all projects had a Project Lead. For some reason, a null value in this field prevented the search. Once we added a Project Lead to all projects that did not have one assigned, search began functioning as expected.

1 vote
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 22, 2015

Hi, guys.

This was reported as a bug on https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-43888

I'd advise you to add yourself as watchers to the bug report to receive any updates on it by email. The workaround is indeed to:

Workaround

1. Find all the projects with the same problem from JIRA Administration -> Projects
  2. Go to their Administration Panel -> Roles -> update Project Lead to an Active User

Cheers,
Matheus 

0 votes
Barnali Putatunda September 15, 2016

Hi All,

I am facing the similar issue.

Project Search is not working within ALl projects, whereas it is working finr within Project category.

Also, there is no project without LEAD.

SELECT pname, pkey, lead from project WHERE lead NOT IN (SELECT user_name FROM cwd_user); -- no rows selected

I ttested in both Chrome & firefox, issue replicated.

I enabled plugin safe mode, still the issue persisted.

I also tried  using the Refresh Client Resources link on the Look and Feel page, but it also did not help.

Can anyone give any pointer on how to troubleshoot this fuether.

Regards,
Barnali 

Nabil Sayegh January 17, 2017

Use this query (or similar) to find projects with leads of actually deactivated directories:

SELECT p.pkey, p.lead, directory_id
FROM project p
JOIN cwd_user u ON (u.lower_user_name = lower(p.lead))
JOIN cwd_directory d ON (u.directory_id = d.ID)
WHERE d.active = 0

0 votes
Patrick Slattery July 21, 2015

I found one more project which had a deleted user assigned as the Project Lead, once I fixed that I was able to search all projects.

Jeanne Howe
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2015

Patrick, So glad this is working for you now!

0 votes

That's a good find!

I found two projects with no project lead and assigned the admin user to those projects, now search is working for all project categories except for the "All projects" category. It still does not work there...

0 votes

I get exactly the same messages in the Chrome console as Javier does.

In the FireFox console I get "TypeError: item.lead is null"

To answer the other questions:

- Is this happening to all users?

Yes

- Can you replicate this in different browsers?

Yes, I can replicate in both Chrome 43 and FireFox 39.

- In case you are using SSL or proxy, does this problem occurs by-passing it (accessing using http://<IP_ADDRESS>:<PORT>)?

There is no way around the reverse proxy. (There wouldn't be much point in having one if you could)

- Check if by running the safe mode, the problem still occurs. By doing this, we can be sure if the problem is plugin-related or not. If everything works properly on safe mode, try to enable one by one to see which one is the culprit.

Enabling safe mode for plugins makes no difference.

0 votes
Javier Molina July 20, 2015

Hi there,

Same issue here using JIRA 6.4.7

using http direct access in an SSL configured instance probed to be pointless as I won't even get pass authentication.

Not everything is lost though, here below is the error I get in Chrome console when typing text while No category or all projects is already selected.

Indeed after I left text in the text box and use the No Category or All Projects link the error is like in the second part of the screenshot below.

Definitely something isolated to those two 'Categories'

Hopefully that will give you information to keep digging.

image2015-7-21 16:39:43.png

Forgot to add the error as text to make it Google friendly

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'toLowerCase' of null

0 votes
petry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 17, 2015

Can you please check the following and let us know the results?

- Is this happening to all users?
- Can you replicate this in different browsers?
- In case you are using SSL or proxy, does this problem occurs by-passing it (accessing using http://<IP_ADDRESS>:<PORT>)?
- Check if by running the safe mode, the problem still occurs. By doing this, we can be sure if the problem is plugin-related or not. If everything works properly on safe mode, try to enable one by one to see which one is the culprit.

Cheers,
Andre 

0 votes
Patrick Slattery July 16, 2015

I'm seeing similar behavior in instances that were recently upgraded to v6.4.7. In our case not even the first letter  typed is searched against.

Re-indexing did not resolve the issue.

0 votes
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
June 23, 2015

I have just tested it locally on JIRA 6.4.5 but it worked without any issues.

Try using the Refresh Client Resources link on the Look and Feel page and see if it helps!

Jeanne Howe
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2015

Matheus, Thank you for the response and the suggestion. Unfortunately, refreshing the client resources did not change the situation.

Suggest an answer