scrum board, sub tasks not showing up

Eugene Shapo April 6, 2016

Hi all,

We are new to JIRA Agile. using Scrum board. I have Stories and subtasks. Once sub-task is reassigned to QA for testing, It disappears from my board.

Please advice.

Thanks in Advance

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2016

Your board filter is excluding them (check Board -> Config -> General and read the filter), or they are being moved to a status that is not in one of your board columns.

Thanks Nic.

Could you provide more details ? Especially around filtering, here is my filter and scrum board.

Any Advice will help, how do you have Spriint board setup, if you don't mind to share.

http://screencast.com/t/ZQgO1sTI
http://screencast.com/t/r2uSU2sA0b

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2016

This sounds really odd, given 12 years of JIRA, but I can't read the search in your first screenshot.  Project = Tap Analytics, but the last bit, I don't know.

Three questions, if I may?  In your second screenshot:
1. could you click the "board" button, and then go to "general".  Your board filter will be there in JQL - could you copy that and paste it here?  (plain text is easier, it is just a query)

2. again from the "board" button, go to "columns".  To the left of this config screen, are there any status in the "unmapped" column?

3. In your screenshot, you've got a "quick filter" enabled which looks like it probably says something like "only stuff assigned to Chris dePage".  Can you find your issue if you de-select that?

Search is:

Project = Tap Analytics, Type = All (bugs, enhancement)

Status = http://screencast.com/t/BZIle3wMLZe6

1) project = TA ORDER BY Rank ASC

Using Rank
3) Yes I can see issues assigned to everyone including me
Problem is, if I reassign my issue to QA or Let's say someone else for code review. This sub-task is gone from my plate
Thanks again for your help

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 6, 2016

It's point 2.  You're moving issues into "In QA", and that is not in a column on your board.  (Apologies for pointing to the left - it seems Cloud JIRA has moved the unmapped status to the right in a recent version)

Eugene Shapo April 8, 2016

Hi Nic,

I added mapped QA to a column, but it doesn't help.

Example:

1) I have QA task in my(Eugene's) to Do column.

2) I go into edit task and  assign it to Joe and change workflow to QA

Task is now gone from my board and it appears at Joe's board.

If I have Story with multiple tasks and I need to reasign those tasks to other people (after my work on task is done and I need someone else, like Joe to verify and accept) then all those tasks will be removed from my board and I have no way of tracking the work i've done for those tasks.

Am i using the board in the wrong way?

Thanks again!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 8, 2016

>I go into edit task and  assign it to Joe and change workflow to QA

This is very unclear to me, I need to translate it into JIRA-speak, and go over precisely what is happening.  So.

1) You have a QA task in Eugene's column

1.1 Just to confirm, "QA task" is an issue type?
1.2  What is the status of that issue?

2) You go to edit task and assign it to Joe
2.1 When you say "edit task" - you mean you go to plain JIRA (http://yourjira/browse/TA-1234)?
2.2 Then you change the assignee in there to Joe, and at this point, it's still on the board in Euegene's column, right?

3) You "change workflow to QA"
3.1  In JIRA speak, that's a project configuration task.  I think what you mean is "you use a transition called  'QA'", from the plain JIRA view of the issue. Is that right?
3.2 It has now vanished from the board correct?

4) Go back to the issue in plain JIRA  - what is the current status of the issue?

Suggest an answer