scheduled rule keeps running even though the issue is unchanged

Stephen Buergler December 13, 2021

I have "Only include issues that have changed since the last time this rule executed" checked in my automation rule. It doesn't work. I get email notifications saying the rule changed the ticket every time it runs even if the ticket is unchanged since the last time the rule was executed.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2021

Hi Stephen,

Without visibility into the rule itself, my recommendation would be to look at the rule's audit log.  It may be possible that it is working as intended and the trigger and/or condition(s) need to be adjusted.  If the audit log doesn't get you the answer, it would help if you could share the trigger, condition(s), and action logic.

Happy holidays

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2021

Hi @Stephen Buergler 

Yes, and...to what Mark notes: Please post an image of your rule to provide context, and...

You seem to indicate that this rule uses scheduled JQL and that it edits the issues as part of the rule processing.  If the rule does not change any fields which result in excluding the issues from the JQL for future executions, doesn't that mean the same issues will process repeatedly because the rule changed them?

Kind regards,
Bill

Stephen Buergler December 13, 2021

It looks like this website has a bug.. If I try to post something with html I guess it can detect that there is an error and correct it. "There was invalid HTML in the message body that has been removed. If you're posting a link, add the hyperlink using the editor." Then when I try to post again it says that I just tried to post that and that I should change the text or wait before reposting. "You may have recently posted the same thing elsewhere on the community. Update your text, or wait before reposting." Because the first attempt to post it was unsuccessful it seems like it shouldn't trigger the reposting error. Anyway, I'm typing all of this here in order to be able to satisfy this error message.

The rule looked like this:

When: Scheduled

Searches with:
labels = 'weekly'
every 0 0 0 ? * WED *
Add component
Then: Transition the issue to
To Do

It just resets the status every wednesday if it has the label weekly. With the box checked I was hoping that it would just work on things that have changed since the last time. Now that I think about it though I could just add a check to the jql to make sure the status is not "to do"...
What does that checkbox do? Why doesn't it work the way I think it should?

Anyway. Thanks and happy holidays to you all too. I guess changing the condition is the solution.

Suggest an answer