run another java application

Manel Molina May 16, 2013

Hello.

I have got a Ubuntu server running JIRA.

Now I want run on the same server another JAVA application, but I would like use the same JAVA installartion that comes with JIRA.

My other application requires set JAVA_HOME.

Does someone knows where is the JIRA JAVA_HOME directory?

Thanks.

4 answers

1 vote
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2013

Hi Manel,

You need to "export" the variable as export JAVA_HOME=<PATH_TO_JVM>, however I think the best way for you to handle this situation is to have multiple Operating System users, one for each application, and then you can specify the JAVA_HOME variable for each user in their bash profiles so that they run at startup, as described here: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-unix-set-java_home-path-variable/

This allows you to make each Operating System user responsible for a different application and will allow you to specify two different JAVA_HOME variables for the two different applications. I think that using the same JVM for both applications is doomed to failure and I believe the most likely reason JIRA isn't starting up is because of this conflict so using two separate users and two separate JVMs is the solution here.

All the best,
John

0 votes
Manel Molina May 20, 2013

Thanks for the answers.

I check where is my JAVA_HOME and the other environment paths that the error shows me, I tried to point the variables to the paths that I think that must point, but the application doesn't run.

Look this image:

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/421/errorcdf.png

Does someone knows what could I do? What paths should I change?

thanks again.

0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2013
0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2013

Hey there, Manel.

Can you try to run echo $JAVA_HOME through your Terminal and see whether you can locate the JAVA_HOME?

Warm regards,

Danial

Suggest an answer