restrict visibility by issue type

Lecathelinais Eric June 23, 2017

Hi,

I have these workflows

workflow.jpg

I created a developper group with multiple users.

I would like that only users on developper group have a visibility on  OSBL&OSQ issue type.

I have seen that some posts say that this is not possible, but they are old publications. Maybe is it possible today.

I have few clues with Issue Security Scheme and post function but I do not know how can I do ...

It would be great if someone can help me !!

Kind regards

5 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2017

It's not *directly* possible, never has been, and that's not changed.

You can't say "you can only see issue typ X in a project".

What you can do is use issue security in a structured way.  The basic setup for a simple case like yours is:

• Create an issue security scheme that has one level of something like "secured"
  • Set secured so that it says "Developer group only"
  • Create two workflows (Let's say A and B)
  • In workflow A, add a post-function that sets the security level to "secured"
  • Create a workflow scheme that says
  • For issue types OSBL and OSQ, use workflow A
  • For all others use workflow B
  • If you wish to keep this 100% automatic, go through all the screens the project uses for all issues and remove the "security level" field from them all so users can't change it.

Your users will still know OSBL and OSQ are there.  They will be able to create them.  But only the developers will be able to see them.  It's not quite "issue type security" really, but it behaves pretty close to it

Thanks Nic,

I will follow your advice and I hope it will work :)

Like Maria Kavoosi likes this
0 votes
Lecathelinais Eric June 26, 2017

Great, it works !!!

I have a last question :

Only new issues created are affected by this change, I am right ??. So if I want to update all the old issues concerned, can I easily do it or I must create a groovy script.

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2017

Correct.

You should be able to search for all the old issues and use "bulk edit" to set the level on them.

Lecathelinais Eric June 28, 2017

Ok Nick, I will try with "bulk edit"

thanks

0 votes

Thank you all,

Nic, when you say "In workflow A, add a post-function that sets the security level to "secured"", on which transtion I apply this post function ??

On the first transition "Create" ?? If I do that the users will still able to create issue but only developer group can see them

This is my workflow

2017-06-26_102435.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2017

You can apply it on any transition you want.  Most would put it on Create because they want to hide the issue for its whole lifecycle, but for your workflow, I would consider doing it on activate.  The users would then see that they've created an issue and everyone can see it, but as soon as you activate it, it would disappear from their lists.  You'll be able to explain "triage means we remove it from view" more easily.

ok, thanks again Nic !!

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 23, 2017

Just to re-iterate what has been said this a very similar feature request has been closed as a "Won't fix" some time ago at JRASERVER-5865. Beyond that I would follow Nic's recommendations and go from there!

Cheers,

Branden

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2017

This desire has been around before I started working with JIRA in 2007 so I expect it will never be changed. Nic's solution is as good as it gets.  

Thanks Joe

2007 ... I started working with JIRA since ... May 2017 :)

Suggest an answer