restrict the values of a shared custom field by project

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2017

I have a field called Facility that is used by many projects and it has several possible values. This has worked well up until now. I have a new project I'm working on where I only want a couple of the values to be available when creating/editing the issue. I would prefer not to create a new facility field if possible.

Solutions/Ideas?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 12, 2017

Hi Jack,

Currently it's not possible and there is an open Feature Request (Suggestion) for this that you can find at JRASERVER-6851. I would recommend voting on the issue so you will be notified of any updates, workarounds or resolutions in the future.  To help with the impact you can also add your use case in the comments section.

You stated you do not want to create a new facility field.  I ran into this recently and what happens if you create the second field is the id in the database is different so it won't affect the other field. 

Other users have also used the Behaviours functionality of the Script Runner plugin with success.

Hopefully that helps.  Please make sure to vote on JRASERVER-6851 and leave your comments!

Cheers,

Branden

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2017

Thanks Branden. As I suspected. I voted on the sister issue (cloud version). However, w/ 400+ votes and a creation date in 2005 I think that is a lost cause. Regardless, there are ways around the limitation and at least in my case it isn't a show stopper.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2017

You can create different context for the custom field based on issue type or project (not both) https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/configuring-a-custom-field-802592532.html

Suggest an answer