restrict assignee based upon workflow transition

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2017

JIRA Cloud

Use Case: I have a two-step closure workflow (Resolved --> Closed). When a user moves an issue to Resolved I have a screen that requires them to update the Assignee. I wish to limit the possible assignees to a list.

I have been searching for a solution w/in the community and found what I hoped would have worked but so far no luck. The solution has to do w/ leveraging the workflow Properties on the transition. I have never played w/ Properties so either my expectations or wrong or my implementation is wrong. Here is what is did:

on the Resolve transition I added the following property:

• Property Key - jira.permission.assignable.group
  • Property Value - the group I setup containing the list of assignees

Any help is appreciated.

p.s. i prefer a native solution. hard to justify the cost of a plugin for this.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2017

Ah, that property is a step property, not a transition one.

Try adding it to the "resolved" step in the workflow, you should see the assignee option list changes to your group when clicking assign or going through an outgoing transition with the assignee field on it.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2017

thanks for the reply Nic. So i'm going to try that just so I understand how it works or see it in action. However, I'm not sure that ultimately will meet my use case as I want to force the user to reassign via the resolve screen and I want to restrict their options on who they can reassign to. Maybe there is another way to achieve my goal?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2017

actually it does in fact work on the Resolve screen so that is great! Though I haven't wrapped my head around why given it is on the state of Resolved and not the transition.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2017

It's because transitions are variable, you don't know if the assignee is going to be offered.  More importantly, it's not just transitions that might change assignee, there's the assign/assign-to-me and edit options.

S_Burton May 18, 2020

@Jack Brickey I feel horrible for opening this back up, but I found no other way to contact you directly.  I am attempting a similar thing, but I'm having 0 luck!  I have looked at multiple different threads and blogs on the topic, but no solutions are successful with my project.

I've tried jira.permission.assignable.role and jira.permission.assignable.projectrole on both the transition and the step, but I continue to see all users in my assignee drop down on my reassign screen.  Is it not possible to restrict the assignable list by project role?

My assignable permission is granted to all roles in my permission scheme.  I've tried "Team Member" as my property value as well as the id "10017".  Nothing changes.  I'm using the trial version of Jira Software by the way. Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Like Paul Mateescu likes this

Suggest an answer