report work across all projects by application

Patrick McDonald July 20, 2015

HI,

I am new to JIRA and would like , for example, to create a report/filter/view that can show all work being done by application across all projects.  How do i create more dynamic reports/filters to meet our needs?

Thanks!

Patrick

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2015

Start by looking at how you are recording this information in JIRA - what is "all work"?  What is the "application"?

Patrick McDonald July 20, 2015

Hi Nic,

In this case, “all work” would be any types of work – new feature, enhancement, bug, task.  Let’s say the application is called Pegasus.  There is work being done on Pegasus in multiple projects: Alpha, Beta, Delta and Gamma.  I want to see all work related to Pegasus being done across all projects; or all work related to Pegasus broken down by type, then assignee across all projects etc.

In general, I want to be able to report off of different fields across all projects to present aggregated portfolio views.

Does that make it more clear?

Thanks for your help,

Patrick

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2015

Ok, makes sense. The next question is "how are you flagging things as belonging to Pegasus"? I don't actually need an answer to that, it's just that the next thing I wanted to say is that a lot of the reporting in JIRA is based on filters, and what you probably want to do is start with a filter that says "application = pegasus". (You might have a field for it, a label, or even the more simple rule "it's in project alpha, beta, delta or gamma"). Once you've decided on a filter, save it with a sensible name, and then you can start looking at the data through dashboard gadgets and reports. (You might want to add the clause "and resolution = unresolved" too - then you'll be looking at just work that needs doing) One of the gadgets I find good for overviews is the 2-dimensional filter statistic thing - using your filter and selecting "issue type" for the x axis and "assignee" for the y axis can tell you a lot about your work allocation instantly.

Suggest an answer