reinstalling jira with backup

dylan_millikin August 12, 2014

Hello,

I backed up our jira DB as well as the data folder as per the documentation. I have now reinstalled the same version of jira and am wondering how to proceed to restore this data.

Should I go through the whole jira wizard and once I'm done, dump my DB file into the database + the data folder. Or is there another way?

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Gurnick
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2014

What is it that you are attemtping to accomplish? Are you building out a second JIRA server from this back-up? Are you wiping-out your existing server and going to re-install?

In either case, the process I follow for creating (or refreshing) a JIRA or Confluene server is to back-up three things:

1. The Database
  2. The Installation directory
  3. The Home directory (this is also known as the data directory)

You can then take these three items and move them wherever you like. For example, if you are building out a new secondary JIRA server:

1. Ensure you have DNS set-up correctly to resolve to your second server
  2. It would be best if you had at least a bare base install of the version of JIRA you want to use on this system - it's not required but it is helpful since it sets-up the JIRA accounts for you and start-up scripts
  3. Create a new database with a user account that can access it from your new JIRA server
  4. Restore your DB dump to the new database
  5. Unpack the installation and home directories - this will overwrite your base install
  6. Modify the dbconfig.xml file in the JIRA home directory to point to your new database using your new user account information

Once you've completed these steps, you will have "cloned" your JIRA instance. You will probably want to adjust your Base URL path so it is not the same as your first JIRA server - you can do this before hand using command line tools (depending on what DB you have) or in the web GUI. If you are simply wiping-out your first server and rebuilding than this is not necessary.

Start JIRA and you should be good to go. This is a very rough procedure but should get you going in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

0 votes
Abhi Vaishnav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2014

Hi,

In the past when I have do this, I have:

1. Restored the DB dump to the new one

2. Pointed newly installed JIRA to DB

3. Restored attachment folder (normally found in your data folder unless you have moved it).

4. Installed the plugin one by one in the new server (either from marketplace or installing the jars).

That is however the most conservative way to do it (company was very conservative in its approach).

I think you can actually just take the newly installed JIRA server, point it to the new DB and your JIRA_HOME backup.

So:

1. Restore db dump to a new db

2. Point newly installed JIRA to the new db

3. Point newly installed JIRA to the data folder (I would not point it to the original data folder, I'd make a copy and point new JIRA to copy of data folder).

4. Start JIRA.

You might have to recreat your app links, but this should work.

Suggest an answer