reindex after stop/start

Yohan BOURGOIN January 3, 2015

Hi

I cron a backup each day, where i stop my JIRA instance, dump database, tar JIRA directories, and restart jira. 

Since some days (i guess since release 6.3.9 or 10 ...), when i log in my instance (as an admin for updating plugins), i have a message asking for reindex ....

does someone know if this reindex is normal? something wrong with my instance? 

JIRA standalone + postgres dbms on debian 7

Thanks in advance

Antoine

4 answers

0 votes
Yohan BOURGOIN May 6, 2015

Hi Jose

Done, thanks 

Antoine

George R. Novosel June 16, 2016

I am having the same problem.  What was the solution?  I do not see it posted here.

Thanks,

Kirstin Seidel-Gebert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2016

There is no solution, it's a know bug JSD-3779.
You can vote for this bug to be fixed and add a comment.

Cheers,
Kirstin

0 votes
jose_castro May 6, 2015

Hello folks, @Antoine NARDEZE , @Ravi Guda

Just a heads up this ambigious error can happen due to a known bug https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-1731 with JIRA service desk. If you have JIRA service desk be sure to add a comment to the bug ticket and vote for the issue. I've already done so. The less unnecessary clutter in the logs the better!

Thanks,
Ramiro Castro
Support Engineer
Atlassian

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes in “A Scandal in Bohemia” by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Kirstin Seidel-Gebert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2015

We've got the same problem. Would it be possible to automatically trigger a re-index after restarting JIRA? E.g. in a shell script or so?

0 votes
Ravi Guda February 26, 2015

Hi Antoine,

Did you get the response back from Atlasian on this issue. I am getting the same message each time I restart the JIRA.

"A configuration change has been made in section 'Plugins' . It is recommended that you perform a re-index"

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2015

Nothing wrong, but it's nothing to do with your backup cycle either.

JIRA asks for an admin to re-index when you make certain changes in the administration side - almost all of the triggers for that are changes to custom fields.  The message it gives to admins should indicate roughly why it wants a reindex - it will be something like "user X made changes to fields" in the message you are getting.

Once you've done a re-index, the message will go away.  Until the next time you make field changes.

(I think the message is a bit over-the-top myself, it asks for a re-index on some field changes that don't actually need it at all, but that's just me being a bit picky)

Yohan BOURGOIN January 4, 2015

Hi Nic, thanks for your answer

Yes, nothing to do with backup process. The reindex request appears after each start of my instance.

Actually, this appears since a few weeks, i think since upgrade to 6.3.9 or 10. Not sure. The trigger is always "configuration change in external module".

I am curious to know what causes this message, an reindexing being useless at this time there

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2015

Mmm, that's a bit cryptic, if it is not telling you which module has changed externally. I don't think it's the upgrade, but the config of whatever the external module is. Is there any more information in the message? Does it go away if you go ahead and re-index? Can you check the logs to see if there are related messages (the log is more likely to tell you which module is an issue)?

Yohan BOURGOIN January 5, 2015

The message is "La configuration a été modifiée au niveau de 05 janv. 2015 01:03 dans la section 'Modules externes'. Il est recommandé d'effectuer une ré-indexation" (in english, something like "the configuration has been modified 05 Jan 2015 01:03 in the section external modules"), and after reindexing, it goes away, all seems ok. Nothing very clear in the logs, out of an error during plugin start phase : "Didn't find any configuration service for bundle com.atlassian.jira.plugins.webhooks.jira-webhooks-plugin nor any entities scanning for default AO packages.", but this one seems not to be critical ...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2015

No, I don't think the webhooks warning is a problem. If the message goes away after you've done the re-index it wants, then I'm not sure that there is any problem here - you've made some changes that make Jira think it needs reindexing, you do the reindex, and then all is well. Is that right?

Yohan BOURGOIN January 7, 2015

in the backup script, i stop jira, dump the database, tar directories, and start jira. Thats all. And each morning i have the reindex request ... Thanks for your help, i opened a ticket to atlassian support. I'll give you th eresult here Antoine

Ravi Guda February 26, 2015

Hi Antoine, Did you get the response back from Atlasian on this issue. I am getting the same message each time I restart the JIRA. "A configuration change has been made in section 'Plugins' . It is recommended that you perform a re-index"

Suggest an answer