referential integrity in Jira database?

Jenin CM August 18, 2013

Hi All,

There seems to be no referential integrity in Jira database. How could we achieve this?

Thanks and Regards,

Jenin C M

2 answers

0 votes
Jenin CM August 18, 2013

Hi Nic,

Could you please brief me a bit more as how it handles it internally? Any examples will be very helpfull.

Thanks and Regards,

Jenin C M

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2013

I'm not sure what you're looking for here.

The application does things like "if you delete an issue, remove all the custom field, comments and history data for the issue".

I think it might be useful to know why you're asking about referential integrity?

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2016

There are lots of places where JIRA chooses not to make the DB data consistent. For example when you delete a filter, gadgets that were using the filter display "Filter not found", but the DB config for that gadget still refers to the deleted row in the searchrequests table. Or when you uninstall an add-on that provides a new custom field type, then reinstall the add-on, the data was never deleted.

But I do think that something like the Integrity Checker that scans for these cases and cleans up the JIRA data would be very useful in the long term

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2013

You don't really need it - the application handles it all internally. Adding referential integrity checks into the database would be pointless and could cause problems with the application.

Suggest an answer