recurring jira issues

David Toussaint _Communardo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2012

Hi folks,

I am wondering what my be the best way to create JIRA issues that are recurring each month or so. Think of a reminder task to deplay windows updates or something similar. It could be new/cloned issues or even reopened issues.

I know there Is a plugin that aims at a similar task but it's quite pricy and less plugins usualy means less messing around on updates.

Is there a way to do this with jira out of the box or is there any other plugin? Changes to workflows (like postfunktions or so) are verry well possible.

Thanks a ton allready!

Cheers, David

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2012

How to create projects or sets of issues based on a template is one way to do this that works without plugins (so will also work with OnDemand).

Other that that, since there isn't a way to do this with JIRA out of the box, you need some sort of plugin. While there are a few plugins that are a pain for updates, most actively supported plugins are not a problem at all.

We have a release set of issues that are all subtasks of a single issue. For each release, the main issue gets created as a clone of an earlier one and then at the appropriate time in the process the issue is transitioned to a new state that automatically creates a large number of subtasks each with a due date based on the initial due date of the main issue according to our process. This is done with the Create on Transition Plugin for JIRA .

There are a few other plugins that can also be used in various ways that could probably fit your scenario.

1 vote
Shawn Odegaard May 18, 2014

Haven't tried this, but it should work fine. Since JIRA can have issues opened via e-mail, you could set up a cron job in UNIX or a scheduled task in Windows to send an e-mail to JIRA. As long as that user is set up in JIRA and has rights to create issues, then it should work fine. I have done the same with system alerts. This would cost nothing (other than a license, and even that can be avoided if you remove the application access for that "user").

Suggest an answer