recurring batch.js load issue

Leslie Owens July 13, 2014

I have a recurring issue with both JIRA and Confluence that seem to be related. I apologize for the lengthy message but I hope someone will recognize this weirdness and be able to help me out. It is very frustrating and has been happening for 2-3 months.

Background: I use both JIRA (v6.2.6#6264) and Confluence (5.5.2) on a Mac (v10.9.4). I access our our compnay installed JIRA and Confluence applications over a vpn from offsite.

The issue (to be described below) occurs in all browsers (Safari, Firefox, Chrome). All of my browsers are on the latest release. I have removed/disabled all plug-ins, cleared all history etc, including cache and cookies from the beginning of time, and closed and relaunched the browsers, and have restarted my machine. I have not been able to fix the issue.

This happens several times per month and may persist for several days, and then seems to resolve itself for no reason that is apparent to me. When it is happening, it affects both JIRA and Confluence: I have not seen it affect one and not the other. When it is happening, it happens in all of my browsers.

Then one day after seeing the problem for a week, all will unexpectedly work, with no obvious change that should have resolved it. Then, seemingly randomly it will happen again at a later time, sometimes days or even a couple of weeks later.

The Issue -
I can load both JIRA and Confluence and navigate to many areas in the applications. The issue comes in specific areas of each application.

JIRA

• all page loads are VERY slow
  • if I have an issue assigned to me, I can click on it from the dashboard and view it. If I try to attach a file to it, it doesn't work - when I select a file from my system it does not immediately start to precess it as usual, instead, when I click attach, it removes the name of file I selected and shows me an error telling me to select a file.
  • when trying to view the Agile Board - it spends a long time (2 minutes +) trying to load the page, when the Agile page is loaded, it does not display any boards. It shows the header area and the footer area, but nothing in between.
  • at the same time, none of the menus have their usual drop-downs - ie. If I click on Projects, Issues or Agile, all I see are small drop-shadows appearing just below the menu bar but no menu items show up. None of the menu links work anymore, except clicking on our logo which takes me back to the main dashboard
  • there are other things that are odd, but I think you get the idea...

Confluence

• I can navigate to the spaces and view the pages.
  • When I try to edit a page, it takes a very long time to load. Once it does, the content does not show up at all, except for the title. I can edit the title of the page, but I can't even click in the area where the content should appear.
  • The same is true if I try to create a new page. I can give it a title, but I can't click inside the area where I should be able to add content. The toolbar is there (although none of the drop-downs work (i.e. can't see anything on the elements list except Paragraph) and the bottom bar where the save button resides is visible, but the blank white area between will not let me enter any text.

I have spent some time in developer tools and firebug trying to see what is happening. I see a bunch of javascript errors that seem to have something to do with batch.js. I see these errors in both JIRA and Confluence, and they always stop working at the same time, so I think they must be related somehow.
I am not sure what data would be useful so I have included some excerpt here:

Chrome Dev tools shows the following (plus more):

Failed to load resource: net::ERR_INCOMPLETE_CHUNKED_ENCODING http://jira.thoughtwire.com.test/s/d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e/en_US-x…/js/greenhopper-rapid-non-gadget,atl.general,gh-rapid,jira.global/batch.js
An exception has occurred in http://jira.thoughtwire.com.test/s/d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e/en_US-x…nload/batch/jira.webresources:calendar-en/jira.webresources:calendar-en.js at 2 : Uncaught ReferenceError: Calendar is not defined batch.js:2
Uncaught ReferenceError: Calendar is not defined jira.webresources:calendar-en.js:2
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'appendChild' of null

Firebug shows this (plus more) in the console:

TypeError: document.body is null
...erHTML="Details…";f.appendChild(j);k.appendChild(f);var b=document.create...
batch.js (line 2)
SyntaxError: missing } after property list
quickcreate.renderEpicsAddedMessage({isVisible:a,epics:b.iss
batch.js (line 4465, col 60)
TypeError: document.body is null
    ...erHTML="Details…";f.appendChild(j);k.appendChild(f);var b=document.create...
batch.js (line 2)
ReferenceError: Calendar is not defined
... buttons for faster selection.";Calendar._TT["ABOUT_TIME"]="\n\n"+"Time selectio.

Thanks so much in advance for any help,
Leslie

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Leslie Owens July 27, 2014

Turns out this was caused by some kind of a conflict (as yet unexplained) with my virus checker - Kaspersky. I shut it down and both Jira and Confluence instantly started working as they are meant to. Thought I'd post in case anyone else runs into a similar issue.

John Lee September 1, 2014

was the virus checker on the server hosting your atlassian apps, or on the client? I have the same error message (and blank screen except for header and footer), although it is consistently reproducible (happens whenever I try to configure an agile board).

Leslie Owens September 1, 2014

Running on my local machine - the server is remote, accessed over vpn. Everything works as expected as long as I don't have Kaspersky running.

isracodev September 13, 2020

Has been a while since last comment, but recently I was experimenting a similar issue.

My dashboard were blank after login, I noticed some errors in console:

• Failed to load resource: net::ERR_INCOMPLETE_CHUNKED_ENCODING
  • recurring batch.js load issue
  • Error running batched script 

My solution was extending disk space for a self-hosted Confluence license.

You can see some warnings after signing on server via SSH. 

Suggest an answer