"project not in" filter fails with "value does not exist" error

Frank Schophuizen August 20, 2015

I use and share the following filter to list all issues for all project in a category, except 2 projects:

category = Hue and project not in (HIVV,HIVA)

(in fact, this is just part of the actual filter)

This works for users with access permission on the HIVV and HIVA projects. However, the filter fails for users with no access permission to HIVV or HIVA with a A value with ID '11610' does not exist for the field 'project' error, and it shows no results.

Since the results for those projects are excluded anyway, it is irrelevant whether the users has access or not.

The reason for using a category is to avoid having to add all project names to the filter. How should I configure the filter to make it work when users have no access to the projects that are excluded anyway?

4 answers

1 vote
Anthony France December 27, 2019

Has any workaround or fix been identified for this issue as of yet?  

1 vote
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2015

When a user types "project not in" , only the projects to which he has access are listed in the auto-suggestion. So if he doesn't have access/visibility to the project , the system doesn't recognize the project name value to his level and he will not be able to use that in the JQL condition.

Access to the project do matter even though we want the results of the project to be excluded, as the JQL itself is not executable from the user's level.

I am not able to think of any other solution/workaround for this requirement at the moment. If something comes up, I will surely update you.

Frank Schophuizen August 21, 2015

You are right that I (who wrote the query filter) have access to those projects. So I had not trouble with it. But once I started sharing the filter by using it on a dashboard to make an overview of data of the remaining projects), people started complaining they could not drill down on the data because the query failed. Not all users have access to the excluded projects. Reason for excluding those projects is to avoid that they would show up on the dashboard. And they don't, but it causes problems with drill down on the projects that do show on the dashboard.

Like Robby Berner likes this
1 vote
Sateesh Chandra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2015

The query is searching all the projects except the two listed projects. It is returning error if the user does not have access to atleast to one of the remaining projects.

Frank Schophuizen August 20, 2015

Incorrect. The user has access to all remaining project. If I give access to all projects, the query works. When I remove access to HIVV, the query fails.

Like Robby Berner likes this
0 votes
J K February 7, 2020

I can't believe that all users who share a filter with project keys must have the same project rights. 

Suggest an answer