"Welcome" email to AD users, JIRA

Sune Mølgaard May 23, 2013

Hi all,

It is possible for JIRA to send out a sort of "welcome email" to new users upon their creation, which is a very nice feature.

One of our clients, however, as I'm sure many do, wants to manage users in their AD instead, but they would still like to notify their users of their ability to log in to JIRA as well as of the address to use.

My question is: Is it possible to send such an email to all (AD) users?

Best regards,

Sune Mølgaard

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sune Mølgaard May 28, 2013

Thank you, Ramiro,

I shall answer my own question, then, with an ugly work-around:

I guess I'll do a query directly on the database for username, full name and email address for all users in the directory, save that to a .csv file and whip up a script to send out the relevant emails.

It might be a very good project for a plugin (or feature request) to enable sending out personalised emails to some or all users, possibly with a function to generate password reset tokens as well.

Does that sound like an idea, Atlassian?

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2013

Hi Sune, I'm not sure what AD users mean, but when you create a new user you have the possibility to notify to the new user mail. Maybe you can change the template of that notification to be more like a welcome.

Sune Mølgaard May 23, 2013

Thank you, Ramiro,

By AD, I meant Windows Active Directory, i.e. an external user directory.

This means that users are created and managed outside of JIRA, so what you describe will not work.

Basically, what I'm looking for is a way to send out an email to all users in the external directory with directions on how to access JIRA (and how to set a new password)...

Best regards,

Sune Mølgaard

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2013

Ok, sadly there isn't this possibility in Jira like on Confluence:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Adding+and+Inviting+Users

Not on the core at least... Not sure if there's a plugin or something to achieve this...

Suggest an answer