• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

"Updated" field doesn't get updated on XRAY fields change

Hi,

When updating (manually or automatically) fields in a JIRA issue belonging to XRAY, the JIRA "Updated" (or 'updatedDate') field remains as it is. Like changing the status of a test run in a Test Execution (in my example below: FAIL to WAIVER).

This also happens on other issues I have tested like changing "TestRunStatus" field in a Test Template issue and so on.

So my problem is that we have a large reporting system that retrieves data from JIRA at intervals, and when I try for example to get all the Executions updated in the last hour, (That is 'updatedDate > xx:xx:xx'), I get unreliable and incorrect results.

Is there a way to fix this? or to provide me with a good solution for an indication of an update in the XRAY fields?

screenshots:

updatedDate field is 2:33 PM

te1.PNG

changed the test run status to WAIVER on 3:38 PM (as shown in the x-ray execution details view)

changestatus.PNG

actualTimeUpdated.PNG

1 answer

0 votes

I think this is because the "Xray fields" really are Xray fields, they are not Issue fields.

I think you might have to adjust your reporting, such that as well as using Jira's REST API to gather data, it also interrogates Xray's REST API ( https://docs.getxray.app/display/XRAYCLOUD/REST+API )

Thank you for the fast reply.

I would expect XRAY or JIRA to update the field on any changes, even from plugins. Since a user sees the page as one unit with one general UPDATED field and the fact these are different objects is transparent for me, and more importantly, I need a way to retrieve any change that is from a certain period of time.

As for the XRAY API, I unfortunately checked and it is not possible to retrieve anything according to changes from a certain time.

I can understand the technical reason why it's like this - it's not issue data that is changing. 

When I've done something similar (have something with a 1:1 association with an issue that is not an issue field), my code deliberately reached into Jira to poke the updated date, so it looked like an issue change.  Because of almost exactly the case you've got - reporting on updates.

I think this is something that probably needs an improvement in Xray, maybe raise it with them?

This workaround of yours is not relevant when updating the status manually. of course, this could have been if XRAY had provided some "change" event where we could get the trick done. the only thing they have is their mail notifications.

I think this one is not specific to XRAY but also happens with all JIRA custom fields.

I found this suggestion for reference however I admit I did not check myself.

The "workaround" is not a workaround, it's part of the code I built because changes to non-issue data does not change the issue updated date and we wanted it to.

Any change to a Jira custom field is logged as an edit or transition and absolutely do update the updated date, unless the code making the change has deliberately been coded to not update.  Most people don't use that function.

Now I better understand what I need to ask XRAY, and I will indeed raise it with them.

The problem is still that until they'll provide a solution (if they will), we need to search for updated ISSUES (via the UI as well).
I tried searching by the lastViewed field through the REST API but I am not getting the correct results. Is it because it's a calculated field? in the JIRA UI, I get the right results.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you