"This issue cannot be edited because of its workflow status." when marking an Epic as "Done"

Shannon Sayers March 17, 2014

Trying to mark an epic as "Done" in the release board but get this error "This issue cannot be edited because of its workflow status.". There are two stories under this epic which are closed as "won't fix/duplicate" and are not associated with a sprint. The epic is marked with a (still open) fix version.

Not sure this is important but a bit of background: Originally, I closed the Epic out as "won't fix/duplicate" in the jira item editor and got the "This issue cannot be edited because of its workflow status." error. So, I then changed the closed status to "fixed" (again in the jira item editor) thinking this would change the workflow status...it did not.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon Sayers March 25, 2014

Okay, well it seems that by removing the fix version, we were able to close the epic. Not sure if this was the correct way to handle it. I asked Atlassian support about this issue but no one got back to me.

Thanks again for your help here, Nic!

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2014

I'm not sure what the "jira item editor" is - do you mean "Edit"?

Anyway, you cannot edit issues that are in a status that has a flag of "do not allow edit in this status" set on them. You'll need to re-open the issue (which, if you've got a correctly designed workflow, will blank out the resolution), edit whatever needs editing, and then re-close it (although it sounds like your "done" column is wrong and doesn't match the actual "closed" status in the workflows)

Shannon Sayers March 18, 2014

Thank you Nic for your reply!

Yes, I meant "Edit" Apologies for the confusion.

I followed your direction and reopened the epic. Now I have an error that says "An epic cannot have another epic linked to it. Choose an epic to assign this issue to". There doesn't seem to be an epic linked to this epic though, the Epic/Theme box is empty. Also, the error is in the "Epic Link" space and does not list an actual jira number. I am a bit confused by the error though. Part of the error sounds like I am trying to link to epics and the other part of the error sounds like I should link two epics. Have a you seen this issue?

Thanks again for your help here!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2014

No, I'm not sure why it's doing that! I wouldn't expect to have to link an Epic to anything! I'm a bit stuck :-(

Shannon Sayers March 18, 2014

No problem! Should I find a resolution to my issue, I'll post it back to this thread for informational purposes.

Thanks for your help!

Shannon Sayers March 25, 2014

Just wanted to retract me previous comment about Atlassian. I did get a reply, it was buried deep in my Jira folder :)

Suggest an answer