"Set Field Value From Parent" Not Working with "Assignee"

rmacias12 September 19, 2013

I have placed a post function to set the Assignee from parent before the "Creates the issue originally" function, but after checking the created issue, I am seeing that it is still being set to the Project's default assignee (Project Lead).

Is there a special configuration I need to specify in order for this to happen?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
David _old account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2013

I have tried to reproduce your issue, to no avail. I set the Assignee from the parent issue just fine. Note that I put that post-function before Creates the issue originally.

Did you make sure that the parent assignee is valid for the subtask (authorization-wise)?

rmacias12 September 23, 2013

Nevermind its working. I think it is perhaps becuase I was using an issue that was generated before the plugin was installed? I just created a whole new parent task and now the subtaks are performing as expected.

Like saeki-a likes this
rmacias12 September 23, 2013

Could clarify what you meant by "Did you make sure that the parent assignee is valid for the subtask?"

Currently I'm testing the feature with the Admin being the parent assignee, but then when I create the subtask, it just assign the issue the "Default Assignee" or "Project Lead" (which is me), the goal is to not have me as the assignee. Either way, all of the users that are in the parent issue have full permissions.

Anyhow thank you for your help I'll keep trying to see what the issue was. I would like to get this to work so I can convince my organization to purchase full license.

0 votes
Bharadwaj Jannu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2013

Are you using JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions plugin, then check this plugin version supported with your jira.

I installed 2.5.4 in my standalone machine of jira 5.2.1 and it worked for me.

rmacias12 September 20, 2013

I am using JIRA v5.2.4 w/ the JIRA Misc Workflow Extension v3.1.1

The Transition's Post Functions go as such:

1. The value(s) of field Fix Version/s will be set from the issue's parent (unless the field already has a value).
  2. Creates the issue originally.
  3. The value(s) of field Assignee will be set from the issue's parent (replacing existing values).
  4. Fire a Issue Created event that can be processed by the listeners

Only the Fix Version is getting the parent value, but the Assignee is not. I have even tried moving the Assignee to the beginning with no luck.

I would greatly appreciate any help as our organization would benefit greatly.

Bharadwaj Jannu
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 22, 2013

JIRA Misc Workflow Extension v3.1.1 worked for me with the same postfunctions (including order) added in my subtask workflow.

0 votes
David _old account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 19, 2013

A couple of questions:

1. are you using the regular subtask feature, or pseudo-subtasks (based on links) managed by a 3rd party plugin?
  2. did you try moving the function further down the list? Don't forget that JIRA will assign the issue to the default assignee during the issue creation. You must therefore make sure the function runs after that.
rmacias12 September 19, 2013

I am using a regular subtask feature.

Initially, I had set the Assignee Post Function at the very beginning, but I just moved after "Creates the issue originally" and it is still not assigning to the Parent issue's assignee.

Suggest an answer