"Restore backup" from newest OnDemand to 5.2.5

John Macmillan April 8, 2013

I tried restoring OnDemand backup on 5.2.10 and it worked just fine, however I need to restore it to 5.2.5 local version of Jira, sadly I can't update it to 5.2.10

While trying to restore I got a following error:

Error importing data: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: [GenericDelegator.makeValue] could not find entity for entityName: ApplicationUser

http://i.imgur.com/o5NSFoN.png

4 answers

1 vote
Ryan Goodwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2013

Migration from ondemand to locally installed should only be done from the same version, to the same version. Anything that has been added in the latest point releases up to 5.2.10 will have nowhere to insert into your 5.2.5 database. For instance a column added to a table in a new version now contains data in 5.2.10, this column doesn't exist in 5.2.5, no where to import.

If you cannot upgrade the local instance to 5.2.10, but could modify the database structure to accommodate any new/changed database structures, you might be able to force the data in, but this is extremely not recommended as it would put your local instance in an unknown/unsupported state. If you could run a diff on the 5.2.5 v 5.2.10 table data only (for mysqldump -d option) you could manually modify the 5.2.10 dump to fit into the 5.2.5. Again, this is probably not a good idea :)

Here is the official JIRA migration documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Migrating+from+JIRA+OnDemand+to+a+JIRA+Installed+Site

John Macmillan April 9, 2013

What if I'd want to export only one project with all its content (workflows, issues etc.)? Wouldn't that be any safer?

Bastiaan Jansen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 9, 2013

Exporting 1 single project including workflows etc. is not possible. There is an option to use the project import tool, the version of the 2 systems should still be the same and the additional configuration like workflows/fields/statusses/types etc. need to be created manually on the destination prior to the import.

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2013

:) you're right.

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2013

this is a public site...i recommend not posting any data containing complete license keys like you did.

cheers

0 votes
John Macmillan April 9, 2013

It's an evaluation license so it doesn't really matter :)

Suggest an answer