"Resolution" default selection in the pick list global only?

Dennis Gross August 4, 2016

I know, it has been asked in different ways before, but I don´t get it or can´t accept it.

Is it right, that the default value in the resolution pick list can only be set generally, for our complete Jira?

No way to change it project- or screenwise?

I got the request on my table to change the default value to "resolved" (which is set on "unresolved" in general) in one screen of one specific project. To set the resolution per transition property was not accepted by the user, because the choice should be kept as before, only with another default. Almost going crazy about this detail. Appreciate your advice!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2016

I caution you about having a default for ANYTHING. From much experience with JIRA and other tools people don't change the default so you can't really run reports that show any kind of trends for the value of defaulted fields. You can use the workflow. I suggest using the jira.field.resolution.include workflow property to limit the resolutions available in a particular transition. See the link below.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/workflow-properties-802592825.html

0 votes
Dennis Gross August 4, 2016

Thanks Jobin for your superfast reply which unsurprisingly doesn´t totally satisfy me  wink. But so i understood right. Smells like the need for a coder taskforce on board...

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2016

Sorry to break the bad news! But one reason I like JIRA is the possibility of workarounds, be it via plugins or hacks. As long as you are not doing it for the fun of it wink

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2016

It's fun until you have to refit a hack that isn't documented into a new release.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2016

Yes, we've found that JavaScipt hacks are pretty hard to support long-term. Joe's answer about how to restrict the available resolutions is good but doesn't allow you to set a different default per workflow. Perhaps a Behaviours Initializer script might let you do that better.

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 4, 2016

I agree it is hard to support. That is why I don't recommend doing it for fun. Heavy customization comes at a cost!

But yeah, it is good to have a way though. In some tools (avoiding names for obvious reasons), it costs a lot more time and dollars smile

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 4, 2016

Unfortunately, yes. You will need to add some javascript hack to change the default value, if it is a deal breaker!

Suggest an answer