"Reporter is required" error on JIRA Create Issue screen (JIRA authentication issue?)

Michele Grimm November 4, 2013

We recently upgraded to JIRA 6.1 and many of our users are experiencing this issue when trying to create an issue from a link on our Sharepoint site:

• Click this link from our SharePoint site: http://jira.(domain name).org/secure/CreateIssue.jspa?pid=11502
  • Create Issue screen #1 opens, pre-populated with the Project and Issue Type (there is a red message: "No Issue Type Selected", but this was present before the upgrade)
  • Press "Next" button
  • Create Issue screen #2 opens
  • Fill in all required fields and press "Create"
  • Error message is shown at top of screen "(!) Reporter: Reporter is required."
  • There is no Reporter field shown on the screen
The workaround is to log in to JIRA. I believe that JIRA's behaviour before the upgrade for non-logged-in users was to prompt the user to log in. Has anyone else encountered this issue? Is there a better way to open the Create Issue screen with the Project and Issue Type fields pre-populated?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2013

Hi Michele, by default the reporter field is mandatory. I'm pretty sure you had that field mandatory since always.

Now about the issue, I believe you are using the Sharepoint Connector plugin and if I remember correctly to make the link between the two applications you have to indicate and admin account from sharepoint to JIRA, so you have to check if this admin user has permissions to create issue in that particular project, or if it has permissions to be an assignable user.

Hope this helps!

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2013

By admin user I mean a JIRA admin user that Sharepoint uses to create the issues.

2 votes
Michele Grimm January 16, 2014

Update: The solution was to remove Anonymous access for 'Create Issues' on all projects. This was achieved by removing the "Anyone" group from the "Create Issues" permission on the Default Permission scheme (all of our projects use that scheme). JIRA now displays the login screen when a non-logged-in user attempts to use that link. (thanks to the JIRA Support team)

0 votes
Erik Saline [BlackPearl PDM]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2013
0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 4, 2013

check the field configuration, may be some one make reporter is mandatory and also check on create step may be validator added to make reporter mandatory.

check this doc to know more about to create issues using HTML links

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+via+direct+HTML+links

Michele Grimm November 14, 2013

Thanks - Oddly, the Reporter field is already on the screen that's being used to create issues, and is a mandatory field in the field configuration, but somehow it doesn't show up when accessed through the external link. (It shows up when you access the Create Issue screen via the button, though).

My preference would be for JIRA to open the Login screen if the user is not logged in. This is because I want the Reporter to remain mandatory so that users (particularly IT team members) can select a different name for the Reporter when creating the issue.

If all else fails, I may just add instructions to the Issue Type field Description: "If you experience an error while creating an issue, please log in to JIRA (link) in another browser tab, then try again."

Suggest an answer