"ORDER BY Rank ASC" causing specific epic not to show up in filter results.

Robert Anthony September 22, 2015

My users are new to JIRA Agile. They are not "Ranking" anything. This advanced JQL Query causes one specific epic not to show up in the search results. When I remove "ORDER BY Rank ASC" from the JQL Query the epic appears. Any idea what someone clicked (or didn't click) on this issue to cause it not to show up? Thanks. 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2015

The order by clause doesn't change the result set, just the display.  How many issues do the two filters tell you they are returning?

Excellent point. The results are the same regardless. After taking a closer look at this the issue is actually with the board associated with the filter. Even under epics, when "All issues" is selected, the issue doesn't show up. Any idea?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2015

Ok, that's handy debugging info - the issue navigator returns everything because they're all issues as far as it is concerned. A scrum board will generally show Epics on the epics tab, not in the backlog, because you don't plan or work on Epics directly.

Hi Nic, OK I have more information. So the issue is in the SCRUM board itself. Under the epics tab, all the epics for the project show up, except this specific epic. Any idea why that would happen?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2015

Immediately, no. With a nap and a bit more coffee, well, not a lot more. Intriguing... Could you do a couple more things: 1. Check if the missing Epic has *any* links to any issues on that do appear on the board? 2. Compare the missing Epic with one that does appear. What are the differences? (Not to worried about text - if they've got different descriptions or titles, that's fine, but a difference such as "the one that appears has a description, but the other one does not" is important)

Robert Anthony September 23, 2015

1. Epic had no missing links to outside issues that appear on the board. Some may have existed previously, but project admin deleted issues and created new epic that appeared perfectly. I added a new test ticket to this epic and verified it appears in "All issues" section of agile, but the epic itself does not appear in the epics column, so confusing! 2. I cannot see any difference between this epic and others created. I even clicked edit on both a working epic and this one, comparing edit screens to see if something was adjusted and not visible on view screens. Any thoughts?

Suggest an answer