"Manage My Plugins" doesn't work on FreeBSD

We are running JIRA on FreeBSD and I'm quite convinced that Oracle JDK 1.6.0_03 is still the latest version/update for FreeBSD:

java version "1.6.0_03-p4"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_03-p4-duster_05_sep_2012_08_00-b00)

Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.6.0_03-p4-duster_05_sep_2012_08_00-b00, mixed mode)

Most of JIRA functions work fine with small exceptions, for example "Manage My Plugins" gives this error:
org.apache.xerces.dom.ElementNSImpl cannot be cast to com.atlassian.plugins.domain.model.plugin.PluginVersion
It doesn't display list of installed plugins (therefore I cannot change their settings). You can install a plugin but you cannot manage it.
I found an old question here saying that JDK update resolves the situation. However, running FreeBSD - this doesn't sound feasible.
Any ideas?

1 answer

0 vote
Peter Koczan Atlassian Team Dec 10, 2012

Hi,

Unfortunately JIRA requires Java 1.6.0_18 or higher, but 22 is recommended at least. See: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Supported+Platforms

I am not sure if there is any way to get around this problem other than upgrading Java. As of this page, later version shall be available too: http://www.freebsd.org/java/dists/16.html

Cheers,

Peter

It seems I found a solution myself! :) I installed Linux JDK (emulation) /usr/ports/java/linux-sun-jdk16 instead of native FreeBSD JDK. This way I got: java version "1.6.0_35", and "Manage My Plugins" works fine now

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in Jira

Join our webinar: How 1B+ feature flag events helped us build the new Jira

Every time you release software, there's a bit of risk – that there's a bug, that something breaks, or that the feature doesn't resonate with customers. Feature flagging helps make high stakes s...

134 views 0 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you