"JIRA Software is not installed" after upgrading to JIRA 7

Vedran Grudenic November 9, 2015

After solving our initial installation issues with JIRA upgrade to version 7.0, I thought our JIRA 7 was running correctly, but today I noticed that expanding the new JIRA sidebar shows a yellow warning sign next to the project name, which when hovered opens a balloon saying:

Software functionality is not available

This project was created as a Software project, but JIRA Software is not installed.

Also, when I open the "Manage add-ons" page in JIRA System Administration and filter by Application Components, JIRA Software Application is greyed out with "0 of 1 modules enabled".  

Before upgrading to JIRA 7, we were running JIRA + JIRA Agile, and I got the idea that JIRA Software is simply rebranded JIRA Agile.

Is anyone else getting this error? Apart from the message, I am not sure if I am missing any new functionality.

Manage add-ons

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2015

JIRA Software is not "simply rebranded JIRA Agile".  It's now an Application that runs on JIRA Core.  It is not an add-on any more, you need to be managing your Applications.  It sounds like it is not installed properly.

Vedran Grudenic November 9, 2015

I am aware it should probably be more than simply a plugin, but the fact is that JIRA "seems" so be working even though JIRA Software is apparently disabled, and it *is* still listed under add-ons -> Application Components. Ironically, when I open Application Components, there is an informational message that "These add-ons are integral parts of your JIRA application(s). They cannot be disabled or uninstalled." :) I will try to reinstall and see what happens.

Vedran Grudenic November 10, 2015

Crap, there is a new Applications tab inside System Configuration that I haven't noticed at all until now, now I understand what you were talking about when you said I should be managing Applications, instead of Add-ons. For some reason, the Applications page said Jira Software was not installed, and there was an "Install" button I had to click.

Andrew Snyder November 17, 2016

I ran into this same issue going from JIRA 7.1.9 to 7.2.5, but clicking the install button generated a red pop-up error for me saying, "An unexpected error occurred. Refer to the logs for more information.".  Our server does not have internet access, which was the cause of the issue.  The logs indicated that it failed accessing the URL.

So I downloaded the JIRA software application from the URL, and uploaded it manually using the "Upload an application" option on the applications screen.  It still did not fix this.  After refreshing the page, I still was told, "JIRA Software is licensed but not currently installed." in a yellow box near the top of the page sad

I am working with Atlassian tech support on the issue.  I'll post the solution here if/when we're able to fix it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2016

That's nothing to do with the jump from 6 to 7 the original question was about.

But, you've done exactly the right thing.  Tried it, noted the errors, read the logs to see if there's an obvious or easy fix, worked out that there is not, then asked Atlassian support to explain what's wrong.

Andrew Snyder November 18, 2016

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] - Agreed - I encountered this problem during the upgrade from 7.1.9 to 7.2.5, which is different than the problem originally described when jumping from 6 to 7.  The symptoms were identical, namely that I encountered the same error message that was described above:

Software functionality is not available

This project was created as a Software project, but JIRA Software is not installed.

My reason for posting here was to potentially help a future JIRA admin that runs into the same issue that I encountered, then stumbles across this post.  The recommended solution of properly installing the JIRA Software application seems to be the proper solution for both the problem originally described above & the problem that I encountered.

FYI - To solve this problem I simply had to restart JIRA by running the "Stop JIRA Service" batch file and then the "Start JIRA Service" batch file.  The installation of the JIRA Software application alone was not enough to solve the issue, as I mentioned in my initial description, but restarting JIRA finally fixed it.  All is well smile

Jörn Reimerdes November 19, 2016

Thanks, for sharing Andrew, your post saved my day.

• Removing Plugins from installed-plugins
  • restart JIRA
  • installing JIRA software application (found the application download in marketplace)

• restarting JIRA

Solved the problem for me.

Andrew Snyder November 21, 2016

Glad I could help Jörn smile

Roman Samorodov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2016

Dear Andrew and Jörn, thank you for your anawers!

0 votes
Leena Bakshi August 23, 2018

Thank you for this post. As for some bizzare reason I am facing the exact same situation in our Dev env. everything was working fine since dec 2018 when the upgrade was done from 6.4.12 to 7.3.3 however early this week, I started seeing some add on missing like Tempo and Jira suite utilities and few more.. and then the Board option is gone from the top navigation bar and then I noticed that Jira software green circle icon is greyed out. even though jira is working ok. under application tab noticed it says  " JIRA Software is licensed but not currently installed."\

I have already tried renaming the plugin folder and restarted Jira and even ran reindex and no luck.. will now download and install 7.3.3 and see how it goes.

0 votes
Pravin Bansal February 20, 2018

worked for me as well -- deleted plugins from plugin folder or jira home , restarted jira.

Suggest an answer