"Invalid issue type" error recieved when trying to move an issue (bug) from one project to another...why?

Rachel LeBlanc May 15, 2012

Wanting to move SCL-476, but the Move issue screen shows an error and says it is unable to move from SCL to DQA because of issue type, even though it is not being updated (was a bug, staying a bug). Only needing to move it to DQA and label the component as "Grades". The 2 projects are using the same configurations across the board.

Cannot use Bulk Update either because Jira keeps getting hung up on bug tickets staying as bug tickets. The error message says that is an invalid issue type, so I have to pick task, then come back and manually edit each ticket to set it as a Bug again because bulk updates don't like bug issue types.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2012

At first glance, that looks like the javascript that should update the options on the "new issue type" field is not working for some reason. It is possible to get browsers to fail this by blocking javascript, fiddling with ad blockers, doing horrid things with debug tools and so on, but I don't actually think it is.

Your statement about "projects using the same configurations" kind of rules out my first guess above, so I've got two more.

First guess is from an older install where someone had decided it was a good idea to remove issue types from the "default issue type scheme" by using SQL. It had the desired effect (the default scheme had only the issue types they wanted), but it completely broke "move issue", as Jira uses the default scheme during the process of moving. Check your default issue type scheme and make sure it has EVERY issue type in your system in it. Especially "Bug". If it doesn't, then you're going to need to re-build it in the database I think (or remove all the broken issue types and re-add them, which is a pain because you'll lose the type info on existing issues as you'll have to migrate them to new types). In the database, compare the contents of "issuetype" with those in "optionconfiguration"

Second is the config. The most important one is the issue-type scheme, so I have to ask you to check that very very closely - are you 100% sure the issue type scheme is the same one? Or if not, then both of the projects are using the same "Bug" issue type (i.e. you've not got "bug" and "Bug" or bug in one is a top level issue and a sub-task type in the other).

After checking that, I'd check that creating bugs in both projects offers the same fields. Not too worried about the non-mandatory ones, but in a very old version of Jira, I ran into a bug where it would throw that error, but it actually meant "there are mandatory field data missing and I can't cope". But that happened later in the process.

You might also want to read your logs - there should be something in there when you try to change the new project as Jira looks up the possible issue types for the field.

Rachel LeBlanc May 15, 2012

Nic,

Thanks for the brainstorming.

After some JIRA soul searching and a few experiments I have located the issue(s). Although DQA and SCL share the same issue-type schema, each project has made their own modification to each screen, adding custom fields/data.

DQA is using a "School Active Status" and a "School Scope"custom drop down field. Each field requires data to be selected upon creation (there is no default 'null' in either drop down). In a nut shell, its like trying to force and rectangle to fit into a circle.

This will affect any issue that follows suit as well as the bulk updating mechanism.

A few solutions:
- add or remove custom fields so that the "bug" is identical across the Data Projects
- change the field default value to null

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2012

Superb - so the pointer at checking the two "bug" types led you to the fields. I know it's not great, but at least you know what it is now!

Adam White July 29, 2013

I have this issue on my instance of JIRA. Although for me, the problem is that the issue type does not appear in the Default issue type list. Is the only solution a database fix?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2013

No, you just need to change the issue type scheme for the project.

Suggest an answer