"Fatal Error" during bulk issue import via CSV

Kian Pariwar January 9, 2017

hi,

today I wanted to use the bulk issue import feature with a CSV.

After creating the XLS, I exported it into a CSV file, which seems to be in accordance to the guidelines. Also validating it via the JIRA CSV importer did not raise any issues.

However, when performing the import a error message appears saying " Fatal Error". the detailed log was attached:

2017-01-09 16:04:07,172 INFO - Importer started!
2017-01-09 16:04:07,173 INFO - Engine is running in Import mode
2017-01-09 16:04:07,174 INFO - All issues will be imported to project: Production (PROD)
2017-01-09 16:04:07,176 INFO - Creating issue: [externalId='autoid-2684469468172620363', summary='"CSV Test"']
2017-01-09 16:04:07,187 ERROR - Fatal error during import
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.bulkcreate.engine.BulkCreateDataImporter.doImportIssues(BulkCreateDataImporter.java:238)
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.bulkcreate.engine.BulkCreateDataImporter.runImporterEngine(BulkCreateDataImporter.java:175)
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.bulkcreate.engine.BulkCreateDataImporter.doImport(BulkCreateDataImporter.java:149)
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.importer.impl.ImporterCallable.call(ImporterCallable.java:26)
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.imports.importer.impl.ImporterCallable.call(ImporterCallable.java:15)
	at com.atlassian.jira.task.TaskManagerImpl$TaskCallableDecorator.call(TaskManagerImpl.java:457)
	at com.atlassian.jira.task.TaskManagerImpl$TaskCallableDecorator.call(TaskManagerImpl.java:425)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
	at com.atlassian.jira.util.UnicornOnlyWorkContextCreatingExecutorService.lambda$wrapWithWorkContext$8(UnicornOnlyWorkContextCreatingExecutorService.java:218)
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

I do not see what causes the problem, maybe you guys see something i don't?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kian Pariwar January 10, 2017

Nevermind, I found the problem:

I had a validator in the workflow that did not allow for multiple value selection in a custom field during issue creation.

Atlassian should consider this as part of their error message, though.

miss_tate March 11, 2020

Ahh yes, I had the same issue! I could only import a single issuetype from a csv. I was not allowed to import "Requirements" alongside "Tasks" from the same csv.

miss_tate March 12, 2020

I was also to fix this error by removing the extra non-populated data lines from beneath the lines that were meant for import. This was a result of possibly editing the file by reducing the number of imports and not clearing all the fields from the deleted lines.

0 votes
Hilmi Ozdemir July 17, 2020

I have the same error, any reply will be appreciated

Suggest an answer