"Epic Name" is EMPTY shows zero results

Sarah Kladstrup August 28, 2017

I was to filter the epic parent tickets out of our board's view. We also exclude sub-tasks. However, when I search for 

"Epic Name" is EMPTY

there are zero results. Now, there are hundreds of tickets without an Epic Name. What am I doing wrong?

1 answer

1 vote
MoroSystems Support
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2017

Hi Sarah,

Epic Name is an attribute on issues with issue type Epic. Basically it is name of the Epic. 

Try

"Epic Link" is EMPTY

Epic Link is connection between an issue and parent Epic.

For more info see https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/epic-name-vs-epic-link-779158632.html

Regards,

Milos

We want to see tickets in an epic, just not the "parent" epic issue type tickets.

MoroSystems Support
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2017

Maybe I don't understand your requirements. But if want to get only issues that belong to the Epic, then you can for example use:

issuetype != Epic

Or please specify your requirements more precisly.

Thx,

Milos

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 28, 2017

Agreed with Milos, use "issuetype != Epic" instead.

We don't have an issue type exclusively for our Epics, so exclusing that issue type wouldn't achieve what I'm looking for. Why can't I use the "Epic Name" field for filtering?

MoroSystems Support
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 28, 2017

By default, "Epic Name" is custom field exclusively used only with Epic issue type. If you did not configure it, you do not have "Epic Name" on other issue types.

How do you specify your Epics?

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 28, 2017

Epics are only represented by a single issuetype. This would be the accepted solution 99% of the time. If you have other 'epics' you've customized your JIRA application.

Epic Name is a plugin field for use by the Epic issuetype provided by JIRA Software. It's not intended to be searched for empty values. It likely wasn't developed with your intention in mind. We cannot really comment on why it acts that way.

The only use of Epic Name is to set the label on Epics. Nothing more.

Suggest an answer