"Customer" users cannot create issues

andrew.ohara May 10, 2013

Hi there,

I'm trying to set up JIRA to act as an authenticated customer helpdesk. I only want customers to see the customer project, and I want them to have limited permissions within that project. I will be manually adding customer users to the "User" project role within that Project. I have set Project permissions so that the User role can create, and view issues, while reporters can edit them.

My admin user can create issues, and my test customer user can view those issues. However, if my customer user creates an issue, I get a success message; but when I try to follow the link provided by that success message, I get a Permission Violation. When browsing the project with my admin user, the issue was not actually created.

Are there any other permissions that I may have overlooked in the goal of limiting Customer Permissions? Or did I make some other mistake? I can provide more detailed information on the permissions configuration if needed.

Thanks for the help.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
andrew.ohara May 12, 2013

C. Faysal reminded me of my issue level security scheme which I had only partially set up at the time. This was the problem. Thanks for pointing it out to me!

1 vote
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2013

hey andrew,

what you posted is from the permission scheme that is assigned to your project right?

can you please add a screenshot of your "roles" config from the project to take a look at the configuration there.

if not please show what's in Role "Users" (groups/users)

ps: did you rechecked that your customized permission scheme is definitely assigned to your project?

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2013

just attach the image here....your uploaded one is unrecognizable....sry

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2013

ok.

and the user "Test Customer" can browse this project but not create an issue in it ?

Yes, that is a snippet from my current Project Permissions config. Here is my Project Roles Config

Note: I censored the image incorrectly. The red "(Company)" role is actually referring to the "User" role.

Yes, I re-uploaded it when I realized the link was invalid; should work now.

And yes, the permission scheme is accessed directly from the project, so it is assigned to the project.

Also, I just realised that I censored the image incorrectly. I'm assuming you know what I meant, but the red "(Company)" role at the bottom is actually referring to the "User" role.

No, I just censored it incorrectly. The red "(Company)" role actually refers to the "User" role.

That is correct. To re-specify, I can go through the Create Issue Dialog, and I get a success message when I create the issue. However, the issue is not actually created, and clicking the link to the issue in the success message leads to a permission error.

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2013

ok. i am not quite familiar with OD version of jira...

but just to be sure...your recently added screenshot doesn't show any Role called "Users"....is it there and the screenshot is only cropped and doesn't show "Users" on it?

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2013

ok. so actually a project role called "Company" does not exist, am i right?

i think you made everything correct...permission scheme looks correct.

Project Roles as well...so if this scheme is assigned to the project and the "Test User" is member of a group like in "Jira Users" (Global Permissions) i really don't know why this shouldn't work...

is there any issue security set up?

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 10, 2013

Hi Andrew,

Does your scheme look something like this?

Administer project: Project Role (Administrators), Group (jira-administrators)

Browse Project: Project Role (Users)

Create Issue: Project Role (Users)

Edit Issue: Reporter only

Hi Bhushan,

My project configuration does indeed look something like that. Although, I should have specified that I am on Atlassian OnDemand, so I don't think that has the "jira-adminstrators" group. The configuration makes sense to me, so I'm not sure why there is a problem.

Administer Project: Project Role (Administrators)

Browse Project: Project Role (Users), Project Role (Company)

Create Issue: Project Role (Users), Project Role (Company)

Edit Issue: Reporter only

Suggest an answer