"Create Sprint" creates sprint of another project

Alexander W. September 23, 2019

My company uses JIRA. I'm the project lead of a project with the key RR. The project is SCRUM based, I've created it some weeks ago. I planned two sprints with it without any problems.

Today, my team and I wanted to plan the third sprint within the project. Everything worked properly and we started the sprint. In the afternoon, it was gone. My investigation showed that it was closed by a colleague who is the project lead of another project with the key DP. It turned out that our sprint was renamed from RR-... to DP-... . My colleague saw a sprint belonging to his project and closed it.

The strange thing is: I can see the closed sprint in my project via the sprint report. He can see the same sprint in his sprint report (same name, same ID), but the tickets contained are different. I see tickets from my team (RR-...), he sees tickets from his team (DP-...).

Worst thing is that I cannot create any RR sprint anymore. When I click on "create sprint" in my RR project, the created sprint is named DP-... . There is no particular connection between the projects. It might be that some of the RR tickets link to DP tickets, I have also the right to create tickets in DP (as almost everybody in the company), I don't have any special role in the DP project.

I haven't found much information about this bug(?) on the web. Has anybody experienced something similar?

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2019

Check your check the scrum board’s filter. If you have multiple projects in the board then the sprint will be associated with all projects included. In your case it seems that you have two scrum boards (yours and your colleagues) with overlapping project IDs maybe.

Alexander W. September 23, 2019

Thanks for your reply.

In "Settings for RR board", I only see my project under "Projects in board". Also the "Filter Query" looks normal: "project = RR ORDER BY Rank ASC".

My project ID is 16760, my colleague's ID is 11600. I would have been surprised if the ID were the same as both boards have worked properly in parallel in the last weeks.

Our IT suggested that the observed behaviour could be caused if an issue in an active sprint for one project is moved to another project (i.e. an issue in sprint "DP-..." is moved to the RR project). Their recommendation is creating a new sprint in RR, renaming it and working with it. I will try it, I have doubts that this is the solution.

Suggest an answer