"Create Issue" Launchpad for Different Departments

Chris McInnes October 7, 2013

Hi All,

We've just started using JIRA within the Software Dev team and I can see the potential to roll this out to the broader business to better manage requests and projects for our Graphic Design, Finance, Legal and Customer Service teams.

What I would ideally like is a launchpad from the Dashboard so internal users can select the department they want to create a new ticket/request for. This would lead to the Create Issue screen and show a different set of fields, projects and issue types (the Graphic Design guys need different information to the Programming team).

Is this at all possible? Is there a plugin in the marketplace that can provide this functionality?

Thanks very much

Chris

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Chris McInnes January 14, 2014

Hi Guys,

We ended up solving this issue by using the Text/HTML Gadget (thanks to Kieran from Catch Software).

We added this to the Dashboard and then created some fancy HTML Buttons for each of the departments with an HREF Anchor passing through the Relevant Project ID

https://servername:8443/secure/CreateIssue!default.jspa?pid=10000

Where PID= the ID of your Project

Hope this helps anybody else trying something along these lines

0 votes
Chris McInnes January 19, 2014

Hi Peter,

We're actually using JIRA for more than just our Dev Team - also for our Graphic Design and Finance teams to manage internal requests from our Account Manages/Sales Force.

As such we have a large number of projects that anybody in the business can raise a ticket for.

Ie the Account Manager could raise a request for some artwork to be completed by the Design Team, for a Supplier to be setup by our Finance Team or for a specific Feature/Function change on a software project.

This meant the Permissions limit didn't really come into play, and using the Text/HTML Control makes for a much more user friendly interface.

Regards

Chris

0 votes
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2014

Hi Chris,

using this gadget is a great idea.

Have you looked the project permission option. You can limit the user access to projects that includes the creation of issues so if someone form the Graphics team hits be default create button then it will see just the list of the projects where he/she have access.

Curious if you know about this why you wouldn't use that approach.

0 votes
AlaA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2013

Hey Chris,

I'm not sure if I get you here, but what I understand is that you want the users to be directed from the Dashboard to the list of the departments so that they can create an issue for that department which displays a different set of fields.. If that's the case, isn't it the same as if you click on Create Issue icon and then choose the project to create the issue for? The project can be for that specific department. And you can modify the Create Issue screen to get different fields for different projects.

I hope I got your inquiry correctly.

Cheers,

Chris McInnes October 8, 2013

Hi Ala,

Thanks for your quick response but I probably havn't explained the situation properly!

There are 2 scenarios here. In most instances the different departments are actually working on different a different list of projects so I want to be careful not to flood the project list with unnecessary clutter.

Occasionaly there will be some crossover but even in these instances the list of fields needing to be trapped are wildly different.

So what I would ideally like is 3 buttons on the dashboard to create an Job for

1. Graphic Design Team
2. Software Dev Team
3. Finance Team

Clicking this link would then launch the Create Issue Form but with a pre-filtered list of projects/clients and a different set of fields.

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks again

Chris

Suggest an answer