"Could not load database connection" when importing from JIRA

Philip Colmer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2013

I am trying to import users from an existing JIRA setup to our Crowd server. The products are running on different servers.

According to the JIRA information, the database URL is jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/jira, so on the Crowd "Atlassian Product Importer", I've changed this to jdbc:postgresql://<FQDN>:5432/jira. I've set the database driver to org.postgresql.Driver and I've set the username/password to the values in dbconfig.xml on the JIRA server.

When I try to continue, Crowd reports "Could not load database connection". I have checked that I can ping the JIRA server from the Crowd server and that the JIRA server doesn't have any iptable rules running.

Both servers are running Ubuntu. Crowd is 2.5.3 and JIRA is 5.0.2.

Any suggestions on how I can troubleshoot/proceed with this, please?

Thanks.

Philip

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bruna Griebeler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2013

Postgres can be blocking external connections:

Check the /etc/postgresql/./main/pg_hba.conf
You may need to add a line here to allow external connections.

Example:
host all all 192.168.1.64/24 md5

Also check /etc/postgresql/./main/postgresql.conf to make postgres work on all network interfaces:

A line here may need to be added allowing external connections - to allow the range 192.168.1.64/24, add the line
listen_address='*'

Hope it helps!

Philip Colmer
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 31, 2013

Brilliant! Thank you.

0 votes
Philip Colmer
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2013

As an update to this, I've tried putting the Crowd logging on maximum whilst trying to proceed with the import and the log doesn't make *any* mention of the JIRA server, perhaps suggesting that Crowd isn't getting as far as trying to make a connection to JIRA.

Suggest an answer