"Browse Users" permission for single project, not global

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2015

We have multiple clients in our instance of JIRA. We can't let them see each other because of confidentiality and such, so we've removed the "Browse Users" permission from all users except for JIRA administrators. This way, client users won't be able to see other client users.

I'm wondering if there's a way to basically enable a similar "Browse Users" permission so that users can view other users within a single project. For example, if User A and User B are in Project 1 and User C and User D are in Project 2, then User A can see User A and User B when searching user fields in the Issue Navigator, but can't see User C and User D.

This would help us because we still want some users (like Project Leads) to be able to use functionalities like:

• Manage Watchers
  • Search project users in Issue Navigator (Assignee, Reporter, and custom user fields)
  • Mention other users in comments

Does anyone know of any ways to do this, whether it's via configuration or some add-on? Thanks for your help in advance!

4 answers

1 vote
Viet Nguyen April 21, 2020

Hi, I found the solution for this: In the Permission Scheme (FYI, I just have one Permission Scheme for all projects - both internal and external with customer). In this Permission Scheme, you assign the permission by Project Role not group or anything else. 

Then, inside the project, you assign your clients to a Project role.

Then, they can only see the projects they have the role.

Hope it help :)

0 votes
Tobias June 28, 2019

So many years and no solution in sight. The typical Atlassian world. :(

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2015

I believe the feature that you are looking for is the JIRA Issue Security Scheme. Try implementing that on your project and see if it fits your needs.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/configuring-issue-level-security-185729623.html

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2015

Hi, Gabrielle - thanks for your response! This is close to what I'm looking for, but this doesn't account for the Browse Users permission. Yes, this allows me to hide issues from others if I don't want them to see it, but if I enable Browse Users for all users, then all users can see all other users, including other clients' users that they aren't supposed to see.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2015

Happy to know! Further manage your users to "Groups", then check what available "Roles" you have.

0 votes
Rodrigo Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 30, 2015

Hello Alex,

This article described a good way to restrict permissions on JIRA for projects. smile

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 30, 2015

Hi, Rodrigo - thanks for your response! :) Based on this article, our problem at that point is that while we can enable Browse Users for some users (i.e. our internal users), those users are still going to be able to see ALL users using the Browse Users permission. We have some contractual agreements with our clients that would prevent us from doing this (i.e. we've agreed with the client that only those involved in the project can view things related to the project, including users' and client employees' names). Basically, what I'm looking for is a way to configure the "Browse Users" permission at a project/scheme level instead of using it as a *global* permission. I know this isn't built-in into JIRA currently, which is why I'm looking for a plugin or inquiring about a future update from Atlassian in which I could achieve the goal I'm looking to achieve. Do you know if this will be part of a future release for JIRA? Thanks again for your help!

Suggest an answer