"Blocked" swimlane on board should result in a status of "Blocked"

Kojo July 9, 2021

I moved it into the "blocked" swimlane, and then it showed a status of "verified". This is misleading. I would like its status to show as "blocked" when moved into the "blocked" swimlane.

I looked at the workflow, and it looks as though there's not a "blocked" workflow step. Could you create one and set it so that moving something into the "blocked" swimlane sets its status as "blocked"?

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2021

I think you are mis-naming things here, you are mixing up columns with swimlanes.

Columns are groups of status (often only one status), they are vertical slices down a board.

Swimlanes are groups of, well, anything you want really, as you can define them with filters.  They run across a board.

So, you say "I moved it into the "blocked" swimlane"

No, you did not.  You can't move issues between swimlanes directly.  This is what makes me think you mean "column".  You can move issues between columns, that's what the boards are for!

You are right to look at the workflow, that's where you find the list of status that are mapped into the columns (not swimlanes).  If an issue has taken on a status of "verified" when you moved it from one column into the "blocked" column, then the blocked column must have the status "verified" mapped into it.

You will need to talk to your Jira admins about your workflow.  If it has no "blocked" status, then they will need to add one if you want to use it.

You will also need to talk to the board admins - they need to explain the column mappings, and probably correct them (verified probably shouldn't be in the blocked column, and if you get blocked added to the workflow, they will need to map that into the blocked column)

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2021

Hi @Kojo 

You are asking for something for your specific project and instance of Jira.  Your Jira Admins will need to help you with that request, so please contact them for assistance.

And, what you are asking may not make sense to them, so please be prepared to explain the problem you are trying to solve.  It may not make sense to have multiple things indicate the same blocked condition: a swimlane, a status, and a blocked indicator.

Best regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer